Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally found a set of Magnum wings to put back on my boat...previous owner of my 18 lost or sold them years ago. It looked so sharp I couldn't resist a picture. Looks like I'll get a couple days to try them out this weekend up in Traverse City, Michigan. Likely to be freezing cold yet but I can't wait to put it in the water. Spent a lot of time over the winter upgrading this and that...hopefully didn't forget to tighten anything down!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice pictures. Stock or aftermarket sails?

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ditto with DVL on the pix.

My wife would want to put me in the dog house in the back of your pix for the number of times she's been scared on the H-18SX.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat really looks nice! I like the block upgrade and the downhaul system. All you need now is a self-tacking jib and spinnaker. Are the sails from Chip at Whirlwind? I like the way the clew and foot are attached with a batten at the very bottom, should allow you to get really good shape on the lower sail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

These are just a fun set of aftermarket sails for recreation. (Whirlwind). It felt a little easier to control the draft last year with the mylar. I have a couple sets of Hobie sails if I'm feeling nostalgic or in the event I race it.

If there is enough wind and / or newbie sailors / kids I'll usually just rig using a second set of custom bridles / forestay / shroud adjuster and just leave the jib & furling equipment off. I'll run the main a little fuller to stay powered up and enjoy crazy high pointing angles and more time on the water with less rigging time and complexity.

One mod I did this winter not so readily apparent is a "bump-stop" that is constructed of aluminum channel and a rubber bow stop mounted to the trailer that meets the front crossbar at the mast base - keeping the boat from sliding forward when using my mast raising system or in the event of a panic stop when trailering.

I had to purchase an entire 18 to get the wings and I may part the rest of it out since the hulls will need a little work and the front crossbar, rigging and trampoline were shot. The original magnum wing covers are in decent shape, and are the factory blue Hobie ones if anyone is interested. I had a set of new old stock white Hobie vinyl ones that I purchased by mistake last year that were an exact match to my solid Hobie main tramp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great looking Magnum, be proud.

About those hulls that need a little work, email me offline at lunnjohn at magma dot ca, maybe we can do some business.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do you have any boards?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, boards looked pretty nice, probably need a little cleaning, $200 for the set, I'll take a closer look at them in a day or two...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice looking boat ....

After you pitchpole for the first time you may wish to consider flipping the "Jibcleats" over/upside down ... alot easier to uncleat when on the wings in a "panick moment"

And have you changed your Trap Bungie System into a "continious bungie" system ... again much better w/ the wings

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking good,

Hard to judge by the photographs, but do you have any issues with the thin line on your block upgrade?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sweet looking boat man. Long live the 18 with wings 8)

2020 Getaway
http://www.fleet297.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

CentralMichiganSailor,

Would it be possible to post some closeup pictures of your "bump-stop" trailer mod? I have the same problem with my boat sliding forward during harder stops which sometimes causes my aft mast support to fall off of the back crossbar. Sometimes I rig an additional strap from the mast support post rearward attached to the trailer to prevent movement but I really don't like risking bending the mast support post.

Thanks,

Tom
1988 H18M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use 8mm FSE Robline on the main and it works great. It feels like it runs through more freely than a larger diameter, and the 8:1 provides enough advantage to keep user loads down. The line feels soft but you need to wear gloves as it seems to strip the oil out of your hands more than Sta-set does when using it in some wind and water.

I'll get some pics of the trailer stop tomorrow if it isn't raining. I run the rear strap around the back of the rear crossbar to preload the boat a little and it works great. I used to tie a rope from the rear of the trailer to the diamond striker post but I was worried about additonal wear on the crossbar so I came up with this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To keep my H18 fixed on my trailer I have a line on each side port and starboard that is tied to the trailer near the wheels ... I wrap it around the front crossbar at the corners where the tramp stops ... I have "Cunningham Hooks on the line that hook to themseves as the line passes around the front crossbar ... I use four individual rachet straps at all four corners which "pull" forward against the two "stop" lines. Currently I'm using some 3/8" Spectra that I had left over .... breaking strength 10,000lbs each for the "stop line".

Fairly cheap set-up .... you get the rachet straps a Home Depot or Lowes.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11