Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1981 Hobie 18 that is in good overall conditionn, based on its age.

The key question mark for me is that the hulls have been painted. Hulls appear solid, with common and relevant repairs. My may issue is the additional weight due to painting

I had a Hobie 14 that was repainted/gel coated and it ruined the boat due to additional weight. There is another 16 on our beach that had similar paint work done and it killed that boat too (ie. sluggish performance and automatically turtled when it was tipped) Based on both of those experiences, I am skeptical that I should buy a painted 18.

Any words of wisdom from the Hobie 18 community?????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well... guess it depends how fast you want the boat to go.

For me, and extra 40 pounds of paint... if it's actually even THAT heavy... would not make a difference.

But do be wary that they're coving up a poor repair job..... I think that's more important than excess weight....

If you want to race and are good enough that paint weight makes a difference... hold out for a better boat.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good question on the intended use. No plans to race, just crash the waves of Lake Michigan.

We have 2 primary breaks. Just offshore ~ 6' faces. At the second break, 8'+ faces. Unlike ocean swell, Lake Michigan is more vertical and closer together.

Will weight hurt or help during sailing and righting?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

weight is what it is....

depending what you're doing... the weight can give some momentum that can be helpful... or otherwise it can be a disadvantage....

hard to say.

why don't you bring a bathroom scale and weigh the boat and see how it compares to an unpainted H18 and go from there?

Just guessing, but anything less than 50 pounds I don't think I'd worry about.... that's the size of a small kid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

P.S. sailing through 6 and 8 foot BREAKING waves... you got guts!

I used to surf and that's a LOT of water moving very fast.... stuff gets broken!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are really concerned with the weight of the boat,you sould be looking at post 1985 boats. They are on an average 20-30 lbs. lighter than the pre 1985 boats.

If you are looking for a tank of a boat then go with the 81, the paint shouldn't really matter much.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would want to know why it was painted and what repairs were done, type of paint etc. An '81 can still be polished up if not too sun burned so it was most likely re-painted for a reason. Look it over really well inside and out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

40 pounds of paint? I painted 2 16's using a quart each,which is about 2# max(before drying) Won A-Fleet in one. If you're that into racing,buy a new boat!!! Or take a good dump before starting!!!

MACOTAC