Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tom,

I just got a digital camera .... Yayyyyyyy ..... But I have to learn how to use the computer part ..... so right now I have to depend on my 14yr old niece for that part.

(Now for the shameless plug)

My H18 will be returning home to Rock Hall Yacht Club, Rock Hall Md this week for the Div11 Rock Hall YC Hobie Points Regatta being held on Sept 26/27th on the lovely Chester River just off of the Chesapeake Bay. I hope to set-up the boat this week-end and tune/practice, I'll take some pic's for you .... or you cooould come on by and attend, racing at one of the nicest small sailboat venues in the country .... along w/ competing in one of the most competitive HCA-NA Division's H18 class!!!!!

(How's that for a shameless plug???)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Harry,
Thanks for the invite, however the 27 hr drive is a little much for me. I would like the pics though...

And as far as having one of the most competitive H18 divisions, I have to agree, they were tough at the 2007 nationals in NY. However, we had 7 18's at Lake McConaughy, NE on Labor Day, which included Steve Cooley, Jim Sohn and some other great sailors. Needless to say I took third, and I got in some good practice and knowledge. I hope im ready for Nationals this year. Are you comming Harry?

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately I don't think I'll make the HavaMega as I'm one of those statistical people on the unemployment rolls currently ..... but I play the Lottery (Powerball) every week hoping ....

So you got to recently see and race against those miscreants Sohn and Cooley .... you are very lucky ..... I got to meet them at Geneva NY. Was that you on Weds or Thurs night who had his boat up next to the tent on your starboard, me to your port w/ Stephen behind me on the little hill and Jim to my port just behind the walkway??? I remember the boat on my starboard was from Dakota.

I'm hoping to make the H18 NA's next year in ol' Mississippi but it was just announced that the Chesapeake Bay's Area Junior Olympics will be held at Rock Hall YC on July 10/11th, 2010. My niece who was at Geneva, ( remember the youngest competitor, a little 12yr old in the yellow bibs and lavender spray top) is now racing Lasers in RHYC's Junior Program and is on the Racing Team. I think the dates conflict ... so I will need to make some decisions ..... but I really want to come to Mississippi for the racing ... but mostly to see you guys again.

Stephen and Jim are GREAT guys who honor our organization ... the most memorial moment (of many) for me in Geneva was the Ice Cream Stand after the awards when Jim was waiting for us to buy the ice cream .....

Does Havasue or Mississippi have a Ice Cream Stand???? Because if I do get to come thats the trophy I want, not the official 1st Place Trophy .... but that hand written reciept ....

TO BUY THE ICE CREAM!!!!

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No that was Dave Stuck's boat, at that time my boat was registered in Colorado. I think I was across the sidewalk from you guys, if I remember correctly.
I hope to make it to Mississippi next year, but we will have to see.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Harry Murphey wrote:
But there is just one small detail .....The last name is spelled .... Murphey

Sorry for the mispelling Harry :D Truly.....the continuous trapeze bungee mod is one of the best mods (and easiest) I've made to my boat! Before the mod my trapeze bungee's were stretched to the hilt while trapezing from the wings but now with the amount of available bungee after the mod, there is plenty of excess for those times that you or the crew do a "trip around the bow" without having to worry about snapping the bungee.

Here is my best description of the mod that will hopefully make it a little clearer.

Buy 8 small bullet blocks (about $7 or $8 a piece), several feet of 1/8" spectra line and approximately 50 or 60 ft of 1/8" or 3/16" bungee (because of the amount of extra bungee you will have available while trapezing (after the mod), you don't need the thicker 1/4" bungee that is typically used on a standard setup).

Remove the old trapeze bungees. Using the 1/8" line, tie a bullet block to the forward and one to the aft padeyes that are mounted under the deck lip where your old bungees used to terminate near the stern of the boat and a few feet back from the bow. There are several different methods to tie them to the padeyes, do whatever works best for you. I personally folded my piece of line (for each block) in half and then did a "lasso" around the block attachment point to attach the line to the block. I then ran one of the tail ends of the line through the padeye and then tied the two ends together with a sheep shank knot (square knot will work). Attach a block to all 4 padeyes in this way. Try to use the least amount of line as possible to keep the blocks close to the padeyes.

This leaves 4 remaining blocks which will attach at the 4 holes (2 on each hull) drilled through your deck lips where your old bungee previously exited from. The point here is to have these four blocks mounted on the outside of the hull, one block for each hole. As Mr. Murphey stated, probably the best way to do this is with one continuous line which I will do my best here to describe...

Keeping the two holes in your deck lip in mind, imagine if you took a short piece of line and tied the ends together to form one continuous loop. Now take the loop and from underneath the deck lip, force one end out through one of the holes in the lip and the other end of the looped line through the other deck lip hole. You now have one loop sticking out of each hole both connected together neatly under the deck lip. Now if you buy the type of bullet blocks that have removable hubs, you can mount the blocks to these loops and you're done. If your blocks don't have removable hubs, you need to pass the line through the block attachment points and the deck lip holes before you tie the ends together. You will want to keep these blocks as close to the deck as possible so use the least amount of line as possible.

Now that your blocks are setup properly, all you have to do is string your bungee cord. Each hull will have one continous bungee instead of the orginal two. The ends of each bungee will terminate at each trapeze handle return rope (connected to the trapeze return rope just as they were before). Connect one end of the bungee to the forward trapeze return rope then run the other end through the forward bullet block mounted at the deck lip holes. Continue with the end of the bungee up to the forward bullet block mounted on the forward padeye then all the way back to the very rear bullet block mounted at the aft padeye. Now come back to the center of the boat and thread the bungee through the aft bullet block mounted on the rear deck lip hole and then finally out to the aft trapeze return rope. Adjust the tension of the bungee so that there is just enough tension to keep the cord from sagging under your deck lip while the trapeze's are not being used (you will have to tighten them up a bit after the first few uses).

Now you have one continous bungee that runs the whole distance between the forward and aft padeye mounted bullet blocks and back to each trapeze giving you mega amounts of available cord to stretch out if needed. Unless both you AND your crew take a "trip around the bow", your chances of snapping the bungee are very slim as opposed to the stock setup. The use of the bullet blocks will prevent the chafe the cords normally incur with the stock setup as well and should last for several years.

Hope this helps! :D

Tom H. (not to be confused with Tom M.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am passing along this Craigslist link as I remembered this thread - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1418906694.html

hobie 18 (?) trampoline - $40 (Wallingford)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-10-12, 8:06PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Hobie Cat trampoline, lightly used, with hiking straps in solid condition. I am pretty sure that it came off of a Hobie 18, but to be sure one should measure their current tramp that they would like to replace. Each piece measures 6ft by 3ft 2in.

I do not have the front piece that slides into the cross bar. These are just the main tramps (port and starboard) and they are light blue in color.

Call Kyle 253.330.9220
Thanks!