Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello 18 sailors,
I bought an 18SX last year, and was also given a fiberglass mast section that was not installed on my boat. I was told that this is an upgrade, and safety fix for running into power lines (?)
Is this good? bad? does it reduce weight, provide extra flotation if you capsize etc...
-Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In short yes, Install it if you want to points race as you need it to be class legal, otherwise keep it and sail without it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you sure it's an SX18 and not an 18 magnum? I suspect you have a standard or magnum 18, and not an SX18 because I believe all the SX18 masts came with a comptip installed (the standard 18 mast is 28' long, the SX18 is 18" taller, so 29'-6").

Your question is arguably the most debatable topic in Hobie history. The comptip is safer from an electrocution stand point for sure. And you need to have it installed to race in a Hobie sanctioned regatta (although you will be hard pressed to find any SX18s to race against). The comptip does not add any apreciable weight or flotation.

However, it's hard to justify cutting a perfectly good mast. And if you plan on running a spinnaker, you're probably better off leaving the mast all aluminum.

Regardless of whether you install the comptip or not, you should ALWAYS be mindful of powerlines.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hum.....

If the boat is really an SX, it should already have the comptip on an overall larger mast.

I'd say leave the original mast as is...whatever it is.

But if the boat is an SX... with a "shorter" all aluminum mast... .then I'm guessing you're also using hobie 18 "standard" sails verses the slightly larger SX sails...?

So it's more than just the size/length/type of mast... but having the appropriate sail as well....

Sure, you can run a standard sail on the SX mast... but I really don't know if the SX sail will fit the standard mast/boom.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All SX 18's have comptips. The only solid mast 18s are SE's. Neither sail is interchangeable as there is a foot and a half difference in mast height. Also the SX sails are mylar/dacron composite, SE sails are dacron.

The solid mast is better for durability and longevity, the comptip has a little different performance enhancement as it will fall off spilling air at the top of the sail. Most fleets will let you race without the comp-tip.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the comp-tip on my mast. It was retrofitted in order to race. Not only is it ugly, it makes the mast heavier, and top heavy at that. This makes it more of a pain to raise and lower, as well as more of a safety risk as the boat will now turtle faster as the top of the mast likes to sink. Once you cut it you can't go back. I would keep your original mast, and keep the comp-tip in case you or a later buyer wants or needs it. However, I prefer the original solid aluminum mast.