Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Everybody keeps saying that to run a spinnaker on an 18 is best done with an all aluminum mast which is no doubt true with the extra ridgitity of the all aluminum solid mast. Didn't the SX's have a spinnaker option and if so, were there problems with masts breaking? Are any of you currently running a spinnaker on your comp tip mast? I have been wanting to add a spinnaker to my 88 Magnum (with comptip) and have been looking for a decent all aluminum mast for sometime with no luck so now I'm contemplating adding one to my current mast. I would think that if one is careful about keeping plenty of mainsheet tension while flying the spinnaker, you would significantly lessen the chances of snapping it off. Matt, maybe you could advise us to your experiences with this?

Tom
H18M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom,
I've never heard of a comptip breaking from a spinnaker. If one has broken I'd say it's pretty rare and probably due to a defect in the lam. The comptip is made out of glass and a heat cured epoxy and it's pretty tough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I run my chute off the comptip. I don't like it but it does work and has held up in some strong air. Thanks to input from Trey Brown my attachment consists of a eye strap with line down to a micro block which is threaded onto a bail. The bail goes completely around the tip, thru a hole inside the sail track on the back. So its pulling down on the eye strap and the bail transfers the forward load thru the back off the mast. The halyard goes thru this micro block. I think if it were attached without the bail setup it would eventually tear out. I don't think the tip itself would break but the rivets or screws would surely pull out of the glass over time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ncmbm,

I remember reading all the posts from you when you were in the process of doing this. You don't have any pictures of your setup you'd be willing to share do you?

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is definitely the way I would go if I were to run a spinnaker on a comptip - I'd tie a turning bock completly around the mast using spectra or some other high-strength line.

I would stay away from riveting a stainless steel tang to the comptip. The problem is that composites really don't like to be rivited without a backing plate/washers (which you have no way of installing inside the comptip). Riveting will eventually pull out and/or split the comptip at the holes.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
This is definitely the way I would go if I were to run a spinnaker on a comptip - I'd tie a turning bock completly around the mast using spectra or some other high-strength line.

I would stay away from riveting a stainless steel tang to the comptip. The problem is that composites really don't like to be rivited without a backing plate/washers (which you have no way of installing inside the comptip). Riveting will eventually pull out and/or split the comptip at the holes.

sm

That is not what we've experienced.

We rivet H14 tangs onto comptips for the Spi halyard all the time, works perfect. (we use rivet-caps and a bit of silicone to seal) All the Hobie 16 youth boats are being raced this way for several years now, never had one single issue. (The ISAF Youth Worlds in Brazil next month also have this same config.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
...my attachment consists of a eye strap with line down to a micro block which is threaded onto a bail. The bail goes completely around the tip, thru a hole inside the sail track on the back. So its pulling down on the eye strap and the bail transfers the forward load thru the back off the mast.

So you run it like a Tiger/ FXone...but do you drill into the plastic comptip track for the bail? I'd be more worried about the track breaking with that configuration. The reason that it works on the Tiger is that the mast is all aluminum. No problems with the track breaking? I always wondered about that.

The comptip is a pretty solid piece and the spin halyard can be run several ways.

J

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeremy,
That statement is correct. The hole is thru the track but at the edge of it, Right where it pinches onto the tip and the hole goes thru the groove. It has no effect on the track at all. I do have the aluminum piece at the top to keep the squarehead in. I am using a H14 tang to hang it from, and its riveted on.

Tom, the boat has been under cover for a while now and its time to get it back out. I still need to get my mast pre-bend right and have been lazy about working on it. I would be glad to send you photos of how it is set-up. May be taking it to the coast this weekend for a couple days of sailing. Let me know what you wish to see as my boat has many trick items on it. I can easily get some pics of the bail set up. What spin will you run and how will you be flying it( snuff or deck launch)? I run a F18 spin with a mid-pole snuffer. I have an endpole system also but broke the pole and gave up on finding the right sleeve material, insurance bought the mid-pole. I have the hoop, bag and both pieces of the pole if you are interested and haven't already bought a system.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Our 1999 18-SX has the spi block on the upper tang on the comtip and have had no issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ncmbm,

Some pictures of the bale attachment would be VERY appreciated. Maybe the connection of the pole to the front crossbar as well. Not sure at this point what spinniker I will be running, in the early stages of figuring this out. I will definitly want to run a snuffer as opposed to deck launch though. Although I've been sailing for approximately 40 years now, I have absolutely no experience with spinikers. It just seems that there are so many options on how to set one up on a beachcat, all pretty confusing to me right now! :( Wish I lived with-in driving distance of you, would love to come check out your set up!

Thanks,

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom,
Just saw your post. I am working on the boat this week and will get some pictures up for you and others. On the H18 I feel rigging it just like an F18 is the answer. The F18 guys are constantly buying new kites and a good used one can be had for little money. You and I have similar cat experience it seems. I have been sailing cats since '81 and didn't get on a spin boat until '02. Now I can't imagine being forced to sail downwind without a spin. The spin even makes light wind days more fun.

My advice on spins is to stay away from the SX chute, no speed there and poor block set-up. Any F18 chute will work and it will be so much faster! I sold 2 used spins last year and got 2 new ones from Whirlwind. One is a regular F18 spin and the other is a code 0 spin(really flat). I am very pleased with the quality and shape of the new spins, Whirlwind builds a great sail. Go used first to work out the issues and once you've got it down a new spin is in order.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ncmbm,

The more pictures the better! I'm sure there are quite a few of us that would greatly appreciate it! I seem to remember you posting some pictures of your set-up a year or so ago......going to go looking for them when I have a minute. I purchased my current set of sails from Whirlwind and couldn't be happier. http://www.whirlwindsails.com/photos.htm My boat is the 2nd one down with the SuperR Pentax Squaretop (California).

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom,
Your sails are awesome! I run a used Tiger ST sail and now I'm feeling quite envious! Thats a sweet boat you've got, it definately needs a spin on it. Its been raining here constantly and haven't been able to work on the boat at all. Will get some pics posted as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks ncmbm. I found the pictures you posted earlier of your rig which was in Sep08 but they were taken with the boat de-rigged. There is a pretty good pic of the bale attachment on mast though. Would love to see some pics of how you attach your pole to the dolphin striker as well as how you attach to the bridle wires. Is there a special fitting sold for the pole to dolphin striker attachment? What did you use for a spin pole? Hopefully, you've upgraded your mast base to the 4 rivit base.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Tom,IF you are worried about it,18sailaway has an aluminum mast he wants to get rid of.You can find him on the h20 pages now that he went to a miracle.He lives in redding but I can get it down to sac on my trailer.
shawn
82 H18 #8211
div3