Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just aquired Magnum wings for my 1984 H18. While installing the hardware, removed outer fastener to rear crossbar.
I discovered a bad crack (2 1/2"x 1/8") behind the metal bar/nut on the sidewall, under the lip. My sailing shop guy says he can make a repair. I think I have read before that the rear and front crossbars should have metal anchor reinforcement plates added, particiularly if using wings. Is this strongly advisable? The front crossbar and shrouds already have the anchor plates, not on the rear. Should the rear crossbar/hull be reinforced with an anchor plate both sides inside and outer side?

My use for the boat in the Gulf of Mexico, off Clearwater, FL. Typically 10-15knts.

Any comments would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

If accessing the inside of the hull for the repair... it would be easy to add the plates. Couldn't hurt. Enough glass work and you don't need them though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will have to install ports behind the rear crossbar to install the braces on the rear. I agree with Matt, this can be repaired without adding ports. If the crack comes back after repair then cutting in ports and bracing will be required.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With the extra stress you are adding to the rear crossbar with the wing, I personally would add a ports and the supports, Its much easier to add them before the boat breaks.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll second the advice to add the stainless reinforcements all around, especially for boats built in that era. I did it on my 1985 boat. I had similar cracking at several of the crossbar anchor points right under the flange at the hull/deck joint- actually some of the cracks were even longer than yours. It's better to add the inspection ports anyway so you can get inside the hull to do the fiberglass repair.

I would also advise you to give a good inspection to all the anchor points (pull off the anchor bars if necessary) so you can repair any other cracks before they become a big problem. The repair is not too hard to do yourself if you're somewhat handy.

sm