Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hadn't thought of it that way. Makes sense. So he would need to move the tangs for his shrouds and trapeze, the spreaders and the diamond attachments. Thats a bunch of holes to be filled and drilled. Where does he get the film that goes between the tangs and the mast to limit corrosion? I would also think a pnuematic(sp?) rivet gun should be used to get the rivets as tight as possible since we are now relocating factory installed items, items that hold the rig up.

By the way, I have a complete junk boat with trailer that has a solid mast for $1000. It has good catfever sails also! And its in SC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
So he would need to move the tangs for his shrouds and trapeze, the spreaders and the diamond attachments. Where does he get the film that goes between the tangs and the mast to limit corrosion? I would also think a pnuematic(sp?) rivet gun should be used to get the rivets as tight as possible since we are now relocating factory installed items, items that hold the rig up.

Good quality black electrical tape will work fine. A pneumatic rivet gun won't be necessary. Rivet mandrels are designed to beak when a certain amount of force is applied no matter what tool you're using. On every comp tip install dealers reinstall the tang usually using hand tools, so there is no problem there. The only thing I would be remotely worried about is all of the old holes from the tang weakening the extrusion. I wouldn't worry too much though, the 18 rig is like a tree trunk with the diamond wires.

J

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gee I dont know where that came from? maybe my tape measure.
Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Jeremy < I knew I wasnt loosn it ,Just because I had an sx sail I was going to put on my se that has a solid aluminum mast and it would have cost me the price of the comptip and about 20 bucks for rivets and sealer.
shawn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ok. thanks for the good info.tiger mast sounds good also. alittle confused on the 18 to sx conversion since the 18 alum. 1s shorter than the 18sx alum.why do you cut it and then add old com tip.yes sir some good sand anchors is much better than sittin on her in a good storm.might try sailing with tight d wires and see how it goes. in the end i may have to post and get a new mast and get over it thanks payne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pirate payne wrote:
alittle confused on the 18 to sx conversion since the 18 alum. 1s shorter than the 18sx alum.why do you cut it and then add old com tip.

To clarify- there have been three different mast extrusion lengths made for the 18 over the years. The original 18 masts did not have a fiberglass comptip, they were aluminum the whole length:

Approximate lengths:
(The post by Surfcity has the exact lengths)

1) 18SE all-aluminum mast: 28' extrusion, 28' overall mast.
2) 18SE comptip mast : 20' extrusion, 28' overall mast.
3) 18SX comptip mast : 21'- 6" extrusion, 29'-6" overall mast.

Since you're looking to replace the extrusion portion of an 18SX mast, you can cut down an old 18SE ALL-ALUMINUM mast to match the length of the SX18 extrusion. You would then need to install the comptip, relocate the mast tangs, and plug the old holes.

A used all-aluminum 18SE mast is much more likely to be available than an 18SX mast since the 18SX is a pretty rare boat.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

so it is possible?

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have two spare Hobie 18 SE Masts.

One is an all aluminum mast and the other has been fitted with a brand new comptip.

Both are straight and in good to very good condition.

Both masts are complete and ready to sail including diamond wires and spreaders.

Stephen
E-Mail if interested. [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MUST5429 wrote:
I have two spare Hobie 18 SE Masts.

One is an all aluminum mast and the other has been fitted with a brand new comptip.

Both are straight and in good to very good condition.

Both masts are complete and ready to sail including diamond wires and spreaders.

Stephen
E-Mail if interested. [email protected]

ok thanks will do

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

how do you remove com tip from 18sx mast .?would it be better to get new one for the rebuild ? thanks payne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
pirate payne wrote:
alittle confused on the 18 to sx conversion since the 18 alum. 1s shorter than the 18sx alum.why do you cut it and then add old com tip.

To clarify- there have been three different mast extrusion lengths made for the 18 over the years. The original 18 masts did not have a fiberglass comptip, they were aluminum the whole length:

Approximate lengths:
(The post by Surfcity has the exact lengths)

1) 18SE all-aluminum mast: 28' extrusion, 28' overall mast.
2) 18SE comptip mast : 20' extrusion, 28' overall mast.
3) 18SX comptip mast : 21'- 6" extrusion, 29'-6" overall mast.

Since you're looking to replace the extrusion portion of an 18SX mast, you can cut down an old 18SE ALL-ALUMINUM mast to match the length of the SX18 extrusion. You would then need to install the comptip, relocate the mast tangs, and plug the old holes.

A used all-aluminum 18SE mast is much more likely to be available than an 18SX mast since the 18SX is a pretty rare boat.

sm

ok good info. it is much better than buying new mast. thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pirate payne wrote:
how do you remove com tip from 18sx mast .?would it be better to get new one for the rebuild ? thanks payne

You have to take off the mast tang. The rivets that hold the tang on, also hold the comptip in, so you have to drill out the rivets (drill the heads off then knock the shank into the mast using a punch). There is also adhesive (epoxy) used at the comptip/aluminum joint. Once you take the tang off, you may have to use a winch (come-along) to pull the comptip out. If it's really glued in well, you may have to cut away the old mast to get it out.

But you should be able to salvage the old comptip.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
pirate payne wrote:

You have to take off the mast tang. The rivets that hold the tang on, also hold the comptip in, so you have to drill out the rivets (drill the heads off then knock the shank into the mast using a punch). There is also adhesive (epoxy) used at the comptip/aluminum joint. Once you take the tang off, you may have to use a winch (come-along) to pull the comptip out. If it's really glued in well, you may have to cut away the old mast to get it out.

But you should be able to salvage the old comptip.

sm

ok will do .thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Use heat (blowtorch used carefully) on the aluminum part to break down the old glue. Take the plastic track off the Comptip, oe else you'll melt it. (Start prying it off at one corner and it will pop off.)

Use a come-a-long attached by a rolling hitch to the comptip. DO NOT pull from the masthead fitting. Try to attach the rolling hitch as close to the join in the mast (where the Comptip joins the aluminum) as you can.

Heat, wiggle and pull. It will eventually come free.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pirate payne wrote:
ncmbm wrote:
It cannot be done! The SX mast is longer between the diamonds. You will not find a used SX mast in working condition. You are correct about your mast failing with a dent at the spreaders.

Where did the crazy statement that an SE solid mast was longer than a comptip installed mast come from? They are the same length. You cut off exactly what is being replaced.

I would suggest replacing the SX mast with a Tiger mast. You would need to change the ball and either convert the head attachment on the SX sail or buy a used Tiger main. The solid Tiger mast will perform better as well. I'm not certain about standing rigging but I think the hounds are in a similar location if not exactly the same as the SX. A used Tiger mast could possibly be sourced as well. The Tiger has a better spreader system and diamond system than the SX as well .ok thanks. do you think a tiger mast would be easier to secure than a sx ? .a new sx can be had for about 2 grand . tiger seems the way to go but just got new sails and rigging .....will start scouting for a tiger mast

Good luck!

seems like tiger masts are harder to find than 18sx