Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to repair this?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Port hull, between dagger board and rear crossbar gone soft. Cut a hole for small port and discovered that inner fiberglass layer has a single line crack along this area. Outer fiberglass intact, inner foam intact does not show delamination. Given it has not delaminated, I would prefer not to drill a bunch of holes to the outer hull to inject epoxy. Suggestions please on best way to repair. I am thinking perhaps to turn boat over and lay some fiberglass cloth inside the hull, accessed through the small port that has been cut?

Post subject: Re: How to repair this?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you saying that the entire area between the dagger and rear x-bar is soft or just a small area between? Where did you cut the inspection hole?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Inspection port in dead center between dagger and rear crossbar. Port is about 4". Soft spots extends about 12" from port hole in both directions front and rear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Poor location for a port but whats done is done. Behind the rear x-bar would have been better. Since you can get to it I would inject resin into the foam, between the layers of glass and clamp it together until dry. Then apply a layer or two of glass to the inside for support. Maybe drill a hole at each end thru the outer glass to be sure you get resin all the way inside. There is most likely a void between the outer glass and the foam at various areas throughout the soft spot. Unless there is water intrusion the soft spot is probably impact related, crushing the foam and causing the outer glass to release. Not a hard repair to make. I would have drilled the holes instead of cutting in a porthole.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Interesting that the latest installment of "This Old Hobie" in the Hotline addresses this exact problem.

It's not to the printer yet, but if you send me an e-mail, I'll send you the article in PDF format. [email protected]

The fix involves installing bulkheads underneath the deck via access holes cut into the boat's bottom (which are easy to re-install).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey JG...The next issue of the HOTLINE will have a repair article on just what you have described. It'll even include some photos of the steps to make the repair. The repair described in the article (This Old Hobie) goes into more detail than some of the other posts to your dilemma, but as ncmbm said, it's not that hard of a repair. I'm not sure of the exact date the magazine will make it to your mailbox, but I'd guess 2 - 3 weeks. Matt Bounds would know better on the date.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where can I buy a small amount of Divinicell foam to build bulkheads?
I live in the Tampa Bay, FL area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Start by contacting your nearest plastics (fiberglass & resin materials) supplier. Ask them if they have 3/8" thick Divinicell. They may carry the material by a different name. Since you plan to use the foam in making some bulkheads it can actually be a different thickness. 3/8" is what I happened to have here at home ...mostly scrap pieces. You can see in Matt's PDF file of the HOTLINE article that you won't need a very big piece. Given you live in Tampa you shouldn't have any problem finding some close by. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!