Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Evening Folks,

I am considering purchasing a Hobie 18 Magnum. Person selling told me that the cat is mid-80's but has been used for only 5-6 seasons and is in top notch condition, ( all yellow with a multi colored strip on the main sail. Comes with trailer

She is asking 5900.00$. (in Canada)I have to get it shipped up to the coast to where i live near Labrador, looking at 1500-2000$ transport costs.

Does 5900$ seem reasonable if the boat is in good shape.

Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think it depends on where you live. You can find newer H18s down here in the states for less than $2000, but I'll bet they're much more common - largely due to the warmer climate, eh?

What's the exchange rate these days?

http://www.craigslist.org is a great place to find a cat. Go to that page, pick a city, click on boats (under For Sale) search on hobie.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LABRADOR COASTER wrote:
Evening Folks,

I am considering purchasing a Hobie 18 Magnum. Person selling told me that the cat is mid-80's but has been used for only 5-6 seasons and is in top notch condition, ( all yellow with a multi colored strip on the main sail. Comes with trailer

She is asking 5900.00$. (in Canada)I have to get it shipped up to the coast to where i live near Labrador, looking at 1500-2000$ transport costs.

Does 5900$ seem reasonable if the boat is in good shape.

Wilson

I will sell you mine for 2500.00 But you will have to drive to South Dakota, but look at the thousands you will save and have a vacation, check out the black hills and mount rushmore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My thinking on the colder climate issue... a mid-80,s boat from Canada is most likely to be in better shape than one from California due to it not being used 9 months of the year ! :wink:

The Canadian dollar is around 90- 93 cents. Didn't really considered the US. But having it trucked from there would probably be comparable cost wise as getting one from Toronto.

My concern is that I would be buying this thing sight unseen for a cost of 6-7000$. Thats hiking out on the trapese a bit far.

thanks for coming back to me fellows. I might mull it over for a bit more and then decide weither to take a few days off and fly/ drive out to TO and have a look and tow it back myself.

wilson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fly out and buy my mag, it has sx wings, the boat is yellow with new stripes it shines nice. Also has new rudder castings and raceing rudders, new running rigging, new bearings on the trailer. I can send photos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless and until you can verify that the other boat is in outstanding condition and worth the ask,
Paul's boat is certainly worth consideration.
It is a good solid boat with lots of upgrades and goodies.