Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What makes an SX an SX?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am becoming perplexed about portsmouth and how its calculated based on boat alterations. My boat is an 18, it has magnum wings but I have no idea if they were factory or not. The boat is an "82 so I think it is not a true magnum but I bought it with the wings. I have since added a SX rig to the boat and sold my standard rig to an SX owner. The SX owner wished to race with H18's as one design and felt changing the mast and sails would allow that. So, if I have changed my boat over to the SX rig shouldn't I be able to race one design against other SX's?

Does the year of production control what the boats initial rating is or does the current rig control? It would seem that the invoice would also be necessary to show what equipment the boat came with from the factory, ie spin, wings. With all the hits my boat takes as standard 18 my number is 66.8 and a Tiger is 62.4, my boat is 27 yrs old. If I start with the SX number and apply the hits I get a 69.5. I am ok with the 66.8 number but really don't think it is representative of my boats true potential, the 69.5 is probably closer. I don't race often but when I do I don't want to put this in the race committees hands to sort out.

What do you 18 racers think is the fair way to go about this? How do you handle an SX with standard rig at regattas?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To race Hobie one-design it all has to be Hobie stuff. Yes, you can piece together an SX from a standard 18 and be legal to race one-design SX. You just need the longer mast, bigger sails, and wings (and the spinnaker is optional but must be Hobie). Likewise, you can de-tune an SX to be a standard 18. Production year has nothing to do with it. It's the rig that counts. As long as the equipment on the boat fits into one of the catagories (SE, Magnum, or SX) that's the class you're in - check out the IHCA rule book.

Saying you sail an SX with a standard 18 rig means you're sailing a standard 18 (or an 18 magnum if you keep the wings on) because all the parts are the same.

For one-design racing, the whole thing is really a moot point. When was the last time you saw two SX's at a regatta? Where I sail, the majority of racers (and all of the top guys) race SE's. If someone brings a magnum or SX, they race straight up against everyone. If they start to win, they'll be asked to comply with SE rules or be scored separate, but that hasn't been an issue...ever.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Admin

An 82 H18 can not be an SX. SX came out in the late 80's.

It is confusing, so I have a FAQ about the differences at the top of this forum:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12780

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
An 82 H18 can not be an SX. SX came out in the late 80's.

An '82 H18 couldn't have been purchased originally as an SX, but unless I'm mistaken, it could be converted into an SX by installing the taller rig and wings (and optional spinnaker). There is no other difference (other than graphics), and for racing purposes, it would be class legal.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lets come at this from a different angle as some of you are race officials. I show up at your race with my 18 and ask you to give me a number. My boat,'82 H18, has an SX stick and standing rig, Tiger self-tacking jib, F18 spin with mid-pole snuff system from a Tiger and a custom squaretop main within 5% of a SX main and no wings on it. Whats the right number for my frankenboat?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You know how I feel about this. You are already screwed racing an 18 in any kind of handicap racing as the boat will never sail to its 71.4 number. Even though I am finally going to get to race you shortly I think the only fair thing for your boat is to call your boat an Sx and just take the hit for the main.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Really simple: If you went to a local regatta, you would not have any problem registering your Franken boat as a H18. If you went to a Division Points Regatta, they wouldn't let you race it that way, you'd have to use the shorter mast and stock H18 sails (main and jib). They might even look at your tramp.

I've been racing my H18 for years, and I don't think I've seen a H18sx fleet for at least fifteen years anywhere. They are a great boat though; I wish I could find a later 1990s for a reasonable price.

Wyatt