Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What would need to be done to the H18 to make it capable for wave jumping etc? My 18 has only been used on inland dams.

The intention is not to go wave jumping, but with my experience at sea with the H16 there is always a day when the only things holding you to the boat are the main sheet and tiller extension. (The real meaning of life :mrgreen: )

Any structural mods/fixes that need to be done ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would put the x-bar bracing kits all the way around,at both front and rear mounting points with glass work inside the hulls and also be sure that your sidestay anchorplates are also the larger stirrup style.I would also be sure that you have the newer 4 rivet mast mount and new standing rigging.The boat is a tank and can take the pounding but be sure to tighten up all the attachment points and and anchorplates regularly.
shawn
82 H18 #8211
Div.3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI, it is VERY Difficult to put the bracing kit on the inside of the rear crossbar.
The clearances are just too tight. Ask me how I know.

Just thought I'd let you know about my experience before you buy the kit and irritate yourself trying.

Also, remember that if you want to put the braces on the outside of the rear crossbar it will require putting some sort of a hatch cover in the deck behind the rear cross bar.

I recomment centering it between the rear crossbar and the stern, and I further recommend using a 4 inch hatch cover with the ring that is contured to fit the curve of the deck.

The 6 inch hatch that is used right behind the front crossbar is far to big to use at the back of the boat, and the ring on the 5 inch hatch is not curved enough to properly fit the curve of the deck of the 18 behind the rear crossbar.

The 4 inch hatch is plenty big enough to effect any repairs, and fits like it was just made to be used in that location.

Stephen