Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I currently have a 1984 H18 SE in great condition. I am considering a used Hobie Fox. I have looked at the specs in terms of sail area, standard equipment, etc.

Does anyone have an opinion on this boat? I noticed there is not a listing in the Hobie brochure for parts. Is the Fox discontinued and/or replaced by the Tiger?

Thanks.

T-bone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Fox was never sold in high volume so the parts guides are only online: http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/part_diagrams.html
- and parts (for the most part) are typically a special order. We do stock some things like standing-rigging, but replacement sails or tramps would need to be brought in with scheduled shipments from Europe - or Fed Ex at an extra charge.

The Fox is a blast to sail for sure! But its quite allot of work with the large spinnaker though. If I were to try and compare the two boats..... the H18 is just a fun beach boat that you don't need to worry about when beach landing, where as the Fox you need to always use cradles and take care due to its high performance nature, and the rigging is more complicated - so the Fox has a higher hassle to fun ratio than a H18 (but overall much more dynamic boat, and faster!...but its more rigging intensive, so its a trade-off)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It depends on what your gonna do with the Fox. Since your in Buffalo I assume you will be lake sailing and not ocean sailing. I had a Fox and really enjoyed sailing it. I am a beach sailor and like to go in and out all day, landing the boat 5 - 10 times a day. The Fox cannot take that kind of sailing. Just landing wears the hulls quickly and compromises the strength of the hull. The Fox should also come with a disclaimer not to run the daggers slammed in big air, they break! If the daggers are kept 3" above the hull they will not fail, if pushed in to the rope handle they will. Its a beautiful boat but quite a handful in 15kts or more. The H18 on the other hand is very beach friendly and easy to repair. The Fox will out perform the H18 across the board and leave you wanting nothing. The Fox can turn on a dime, power up or down quickly, spin system is well layed out and the tramp is clean. Great bouyancy in the hulls and hard to pitchpole due to the inverted bows.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its kinda like racing cars.
"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go ?"
"Bring your wheelbarrow and your money, sir, and walk this way."

Keep in mind, boats, especially high performance ones, are like children, its not the purchase price, its the maintenance and upkeep that will kill ya.

IF you decide to buy the Fox, keep the 18 long enough to figure out that you really like the Fox better.
The Hobie 18 you currently have will be very difficult to replace once you let it go.

Stephen