Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have sailed a few times and have been looking for cat out in Hawaii for about a month. Boats are few and far between here but I have just been offered a very nice 18' Hobie at a reasonable Hawaii price (aka much higher than the mainland). My question is this: as I have been sailing only a handful of times is an 18 a good choice or am I going to kill myself? Now I do have a few people wanting to crew so I won't be out by myself. What r your thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well yes and no. I started sailing cats on a H16 and moved to a H18. I did find it easier to muscle the 16 around on the beach by myself. I nearly cannot do that with the 18 as it is heavier. Get some friends or beach wheels. That being said, I would not go back to the 16 because the 18's sailing characteristics are so much better. For starters, the lack of depth on the 16's bows will lead to spectacular pitchpoles off the wind if not careful. The 18's deep bows all but prevent that from happening. Since you sail in the ocean, I assume, that bouyancy up front goes a long way to keeping the boat on its feet when plowing through waves. The only advantage the 16 ever had was not having to mind the daggers in very shallow water. The 18 will get overpowered in heavy wind, sort of like a Ferrari with the throttle stuck open, but experience will become you best guide.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rigging time on a H-18 is a little more than on a Hobie 16.
The biggest difference is the time it takes to get the jib set up properly on the forestay.
However, once the boat is set up, that becomes one of the real assets of the Hobie 18.
When single handing in light air, you can use all of the sail area, but if the wind comes up to a point where you become uncomfortable, you merely furl the jib and sail it like a Hobie 14 or a Hobie 17.
The other advantages of the Hobie 18 include the additional hull volume that allows you to take out friends and have the boat still sail well. If you like you can add wings (couches).
The Hobie 18 is probably the best all round catamaran ever built, more versatile and adaptable than any other.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It is the easiest catamaran to sail - very forgiving.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Having sailed only a "handful" of times, there will be a large learning curve sailing the Hobie 18. Not saying you can't or shouldn't do it but I highly recommend you take out an experienced beachcat sailor your first several (if not many) times. Shouldn't be hard to find an experienced beachcat sailor in your nick of the woods!

Tom
H18M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Having sailed only a "handful" of times, there will be a large learning curve sailing the Hobie 18. Not saying you can't or shouldn't do it but I highly recommend you take out an experienced beachcat sailor your first several (if not many) times.

Here is my two cents;

The above is true of any catamaran and does not single out the 18. I sailed/raced Lightning one-design monohull for 3 years as crew back in the early 80's. I crewed on a few catamaran back in those days, Hobie 18 and Tornado. I think I took the helm 10 times total. I then committed to windsurfing and did this from 1980 to present. I wanted to teach my kids, wife and father the thrill of sailing fast. I decided to purchase a 21SE as it will carry 4-6 adults easily, has wings (biggest plus) and is one of the fastest Hobies out there. Best boat purchase ever. :mrgreen: It carries 6 people no problem. The only problem is I cannot solo and really preferably have 3 people on board. The upside, I can carry 6 and can still catch virtually every catamaran on the lake (to date). Maybe if the winds are blowing above 20 I might be challenged to hold the boat down and other catamarans may find an edge, but in those winds I usually just downhaul and am able to control my speed and survive.

If you are really going to sail with crew more often than not, get the 18. If you want to solo be cautious of the 18 and look at 17 or 16, but dont rule the 18 out. Purchase and learn how to sail a cat. Make sure mast is sealed and/or put a Hobie Bob on the mast to not turtle if you flip.

Have fun! I am sure there are a few on this forum who will be glad to come to Hawaii to help you learn how to rig the boat and teach you to sail. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my 78 H18 w/Magnum wings 2 months ago, have had a blast. Been out 12 times
7 solo. This is my first sail boat. all power boats before.
Have sailed all over Mission Bay and San Diego bay so far, no offshore yet [soon]. To me it has been very forgiving, have been flying hulls since the 4th time out. I capsized once, was getting out my righting bag and a Jet Skier helped, Came right over. I say go for it, it will be so much fun in Hawaii. My boat is in great shape, but i'm already looking for a newer one.

Sam
78 H18 Magnum Wings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had only sailed a few times years ago before buying a H18 back in July. I've been out about eight times and four were solo. I think it's good that you have people wanting to crew with you. I had a few capsizes in 17-20 knots with gusts solo the other day and it was a rush for sure and I learned a lot. But righting the boat required help from passersby, no problem, they were glad to help and watch me do it again until I got tired and furled the jib.

There is a learning curve, de-powering is your friend. Solo in light winds only for a while.

I say buy the boat, line up some crew, and HANG ON!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like the 18 a lot - and like yourself I'm new, with some new crew. I passed on a couple 16s for the 18 because I knew I would have crew and read/experienced that the 16 didn't carry weight near as well. Read this:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14327

I think as long as you aren't stupid, you should be fine. I didn't have trouble in light winds (on my previous sails), and the boat was forgiving in such conditions. I'll conjecture your better off on an 18 with crew than a 16 with crew in adverse conditions and you don't know what your doing. Kind of a funny comparison. I guess it's up to the veterans to agree or disagree with that. I say that because with the weight (aka crew), the 18 will ride nicer, and you can furl the jib.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a newbie both to sailing and to the forum and am looking for some advice. I have been powerboating since I was a kid and as a teenager had the opportuntiy to crew on an H18 off the coast of NC and loved it. I am not at a point where my kids are all in school and I can afford to purchase a boat of my own. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2003 H18 with wings in near mint condition for around $6k. I also have an opportunity to purchase a '95 H 21SC in very nice condition for around $8k. First off, I have been reading all of the advice and warnings and am a big believer in taking courses so I will be signing up for private lessons on an H18 with a sailing school with my crew (also newbie) before attempting to sail by ourselves. We have access to smaller lakes in CT where we can learn without too much risk.

I would like to be able to take my 3 kids and wife out with me once I'm comfortable with the boat. Two questions (1) are these fair prices for the boats? (2) Which boat would you recommend as the better value and/or better all around boat? Both include trailer and the 18 comes with an extra tramp and jib. Both include beach wheels. I've also considered the Hobie Getaway as an option but can't seem to get as excited about a rotomolded boat (although I own 8 rotomolded kayaks and they are great).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,
if the H18 has a trailer, then I'd say it was a good buy. maybe you can get it for a couple hundred less if the seller is motivated.

the H21 is a lot of boat for a novice to catamarans. if I recall it is too wide to be legal for trailering and must be mounted somewhat upright at an angle to be under 8' wide. even though both boats you are considering are fairly new, I have to believe parts are easier to get for the 18 versus the 21, which has to be a consideration. you should have no problem with the 5 of you fitting on a 18. though if it gets really windy it will get a bit crowded along the side rail! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think either boat would be good. As long as you have crew while learning and you stay within your comfort zone they will provide great memories. The 18 with wings will allow a larger number of crew. The more people on board the wetter you will be. The 21SC is the sports cruiser and is on 8'-6" wide and is legal for trailering. The 21 SE is 9-6.5" wide and should be narrowed, by reducing the crossmembers to trailer legally. The 21SC has a storage pod on the boat which adds weight, but might be a pleasant addition to everyday cruising. The 21SC also may come with a tent for camping. I know the 21SE can accomodate 6 adults easily and I am pretty sure the 21SC can as well.

The 18 can be more easily set-up and beached because it is lighter.

Just buy one and go sailing. You will be happy with either one :mrgreen: