Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: front crossbar cracked.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It didn't exactly make my day when in noticed this. Got that sinking feeling in my stomach just typing this.

It's a longitudinal split on the starboard side from the outer edge inward about two feet. It's on the rear of the bar at the middle of the smooth curved surface there. It's such a straight line at the midpoint of the bar my first thought was it was normal, before I remembered it's probably an extrusion not two halves put together. I can take pics tomorrow if needed.

I'm wondering if I bought the boat with this crack two months ago, it would be easy to miss. Or if this happened recently since the purchase. I have struck the daggerboard on that side twice, once pretty hard on the rocky shore of the lake. Maybe that did it. Or maybe when I was blown over from the rear by 30 knots, both rudders straight up in the air and only the tip of the port hull in the water when the mast hit the surface of the water.

Is this a typical crossbar failure?

Could I have been sailing it like this seven or eight times now?

Could this lead to a catastrophic failure while sailing soon?

I'm thinking it's not looking good for the home team right now.

I don't have the wallet shrapnel for a replacement right now but I sure would like to know where to find one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 am 
Site Admin

This doesn't sound typical.

The forward crossbar extrusion # 60132010 is $504.00

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya just gotta love this kind of timly response directly from "the guy" at the Company that KNOWS the right answers.

Thanks Matt ! ! !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:04 am 
Site Admin

I should have added...

I would not advise sailing the boat in the condition described, yes the crossbar could fail completely.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a 1978 H18 SE as a parts boat for $250 because I needed a mast. The hulls were delaminated way past the point of repair, but the rest of the boat was in OK-usable shape. You might consider looking for a parts boat in your neck of the woods. Having spare parts (crossbars, rudder castings, dagger boards, mast, etc….) can sometimes be a good thing for boats as old as ours.

That said, I think of the front crossbar as one of the main structural members of the boat and as such, 500 bucks doesn’t sound way out of line (to me) for a new main structural member without any weakness due to corrosion or work hardening or use/abuse.

Another option would be to place an ad on this site under “Classifieds – Looking to Buy” for a used front crossbar.

Don’t know where you live, but I have a spare black front crossbar from the parts boat noted above. I was planning on keeping it as a spare, but if you need it more than me, well, I guess we can talk….

FWIW, I would not sail my boat with a 2 foot long crack in the front crossbar unless somebody's life depended on it.

Hope this helps,

Mike Bennett
1981 H18
Madera, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mike, I'm in Alabama. Not sure if a crossbar could ship via UPS.

Matt, you're right it's not typical. I realized this morning how this probably happened and it's my own boneheaded fault. A couple of outings back the wire jib halyard got tangled in the pulley assembly. I replaced the cotter pins there with rings later. I couldn't unfurl the jib to remove it. I didn't think about lowering the mast with the jib still furled on the stay, probably could have done that. Instead I capsized the boat in the water and removed the sails near shore. One rudder was removed and one was not but it was locked in the upper position. When my brother and I righted the boat near shore the remaining rudder dropped down as the boat landed upright. The water was shallow enough for the rudder to strike the bottom. I cringed and inspected the gudgeon, rudder and transom thoroughly. No damage there, but now I'm thinking that action twisted the hulls in relation to each other and whipped the mast for good measure enough to crack the crossbar.

I'm guessing the crack has been growing in the two outings since before noticing it yesterday. So I guess I'm done sailing for now, and feeling like a kid that broke his favorite toy. Damn. An interesting feeling for a 51 year old.

I didn't realize a new crossbar would be available, that's good news, but can't afford a new crossbar right now. I quit a career in academia three years ago because of stress and haven't worked since. Been trying to get myself in better mental and physical health while depleting my savings. The plan has worked well as I'm in better shape than the last ten years. But no positive cash flow has caught up with me.

I don't plan on sailing it as is, not worth the risk. Probably be next season before I'm back on the water. Mike, I'd like to make you an offer on the spare crossbar, but I just don't have the cash to do so right now. Maybe we can talk in a month or two.

The forum has been a great resource for this newb, I've had a blast the last two months sailing this old boat. Thanks so much to those who sponsor the site and those who contribute.

I'll be back in the game as soon a possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bama,,, I was reading your other thread about picking up the sport, and came over here to hear your front crossbar failure story. Since you like to read posts and are a self described newb..and you are worried about finding a relatively cheap crossbar, I feel I should point you to another resource site that you must not have stumbled on yet, called Thebeachcats dot com...They also have great picture galleries that completely illustrate the righting pole you are so curious about, in use, among other things..
This website is still the best place for unadulterated last word hobie advice, but sounds like you have some time on your hands to read, now that your boat is laid up... If you are patient you will find a very serviceable front crossbar either here, there or on e-bay before spring, and for the price you want to pay.
Like the previous poster, I have accumulated pretty much a complete spare parts boat over the years, all but for a few pins and bolts. I would be more than willing to sell you my silver spare front bar for $100, but Like the other guy I'm not close..Pennsylvania.
You will find something closer, I'm sure of it and it will save you shipping money. I've been around Hobie 18 sailors and racers for 25 years and something catastrophic has to happen to damage them..like having your boat cartwheeled down the beach by a storm or a car/trailer accident, not regular sailing. They survive and are for sale, long after hulls, masts, trampolines, rudders and sails have bit the dust. In short if you had to trash a major part, you picked a good one.