Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone ever had to weld on a H-18 mast? I have a 8" split from water freezing in the base of my mast. Can this be welded and will it still be strong enough as not to fail under a load?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have any experience specifically along the lines of welding a mast, but here's what I'm thinking - first you're going to have to scrub the anodization off the aluminum in the area where you want to weld it. Then you'll need to use an A/C welder (probably MIG but I'm not positive) to finish the weld. If the repaired part of the mast isn't exactly the same shape as the area above it, however, I'm afraid it will buckle when it gets a load on it. You may want to look into getting a new mast just for safety reasons. :?

Good luck bro.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

T.I.G. Tungstun Inert Gas welding is the way to fly here M.I.G. is not as strong and does not pennitrate the base metal as well as T.I.G. I would definately prep your base metal as suggested by Mr. Z.

I know with carbon steel to maintain any ductility, tensile and, shear strenght you must stress relieve the weld. that is a process that involves maintaining high heat directly after it is welded then sllllooowwly cooling it.

Although I've never welded Alluminium or did any T.I.G. welding for that matter. If you cannot or are'nt that great at T.I.G.ing allumimiun My suggestion would be find a Pipefitter. I would trust my life with any weld done by a U.A. Journeyman Pipefitter

If the weld is done by a certified welder the weld will be as strong if not stronger than the surrounding base meal.

Find a laidoff Pipefitter, slide him a few bucks and a case of beer and the repair is totally possiable for probably alot cheaper than a new mast.

hope this helps.

(for the reacord I'm a Pipefitter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rwehuman wrote:
T.I.G. Tungstun Inert Gas welding is the way to fly here M.I.G. is not as strong and does not pennitrate the base metal as well as T.I.G. I would definately prep your base metal as suggested by Mr. Z.

Doh! You know, I was thinking only mig was A/C because I totally forgot how many tigs have an a/c setting. That's the important part is A/C. Also, with how thin the aluminum is in a mast, tig would probably be better anyway. Good call broly.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To All,

Thanks for all the advice. I had a professional alum. welder TIG the split and he feels that it is as good as new. Sure beats spending $2000 on a new mast. I agree with rwehuman's comment that a good alum weld is stronger that the surrounding metal.

Kenny B