Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a Spinnaker
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone. So excited to have found this site today. Been sailing my 1980 H18 for about 4 years now in Central Jersey. Just found the Sandy Hook Catmaraman Club this morning and can't wait to join. Since they host weekend races I will now be seriously looking for a spinnaker. Is used rigging available? If not, is it best to just buy new OEM Hobie stuff? Do any of the Hobie dealers discount the MSRPing? Any help or push in the right direction would be great!!!
Can anyone describe the self tacking Jib or post a picture. What boat is this adapated from and where would you get it?
Thanks all

Randy
[email protected]

Post subject: Re: Need a Spinnaker
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have not seen much used spinnaker gear out there. ncmbm who is a member of this forum can tell you more about the self tacking jib which is adapted (in his case) from a Hobie Tiger. You will gain the advantage of ease of jib handling and less clutter on the tramp but you will lose jib sail area.

I just added a spinnaker to my 88 H18 with the help and knowledge of Jeremy of Surf City Catamarans http://www.surfcitycatamarans.com. He is also a member of this forum and pops in quite frequently. Awesome setup and reasonable price as well, totally happy with it.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Self tackers are expensive if you can't find a deal, and deals are not readily available. I really like the system though. Mine came from an I-20 but the Tiger system would work as well.

Do you have a solid mast or comp-tip? It makes a difference with a spin. Jeremy @ Surfcity offers a custom spin package that I believe is the way to go. He has allready sorted it out and provides a custom spin from my preferred sailmaker. If you have a solid mast then a used F18 spin will work. Keep in mind that a spin system is not cheap, you will need blocks, lines and someone to install(if you cannot). I would assume 1k or more for the spin system and close to that to self-tack the jib.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

1K will cover the spin itself but you'd better figure 2.2K to 2.5K for the whole setup, pole, snuffer, numerous blocks, lines, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats what I thought, 2k is a lot of money. If thats the case start looking used, a sunfish spar makes a great pole, used snuffer hoops and bags can be found. A used F18 spin is $300 - $500, used endpole snuffer system should be $200-$300. Then you need sheets and halyard, auto-ratchet blocks(4), mast tang, spin tang for x-bar, eyestraps, rivets, etc. I did it for less than $1k including the SX mast but it was all used equipment. I bought a new spin last year and insurance bought me a new spin pole and snuffer. I had the blocks from another boat and Trey Brown did all my rope work custom. I really owe a lot to Trey, he was beyond helpful putting my boat together.
Good Luck on your quest, its worth it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you go with the stock 18 chute it's a very full deep down wind sail. The newer Wildcat / Tiger sails are a flatter cut and give you more speed and run at a hotter wind angle. There are alot of used chutes available on line. Also alot of sail makers can build one for you. If your interested I have a few chutes I can part with. I have a brand new Tiger chute , a used Tiger chute and a custom Surf City Catamarans used F-18 chute. We are seeing alot of 20's and 18's using the Tiger chutes and poles here on the west coast.
Feel free to E-mail me with any questions.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hey welcome, you're in my neck of the woods.

I have just about completed gathering the necessary components to rig a spin on my stock '88 H18.
I bought a used Tiger spin w/ mid pole snuffer for $500. The pole fittings, pole mount and mast tang, along with some Dynema line, all from Surf City cats, for about $100. (2) 7'-6" pieces of Forespar 1½" dia. anodized alum. spin pole tubing for about $140. I now have to get halyard and sheet lines and blocks to control the sail. I should come in well under $1000.

now... to rig it all together so I'm ready for next year.

you'll like the beach at Fleet 250. Those guys have been around quite some time. I raced regattas there in the early '80's. the only warning is Sandy Hook bay can be a drag in mid July and August, in the middle of the day, until the sea breeze fills in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got a brand new F18 spin blue and a custom Hobie 18 spin red if anyone needs them. Both have pulldowns and are set up for a snuffer. Call for pricing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for all of the help. I am planning on doing the work myself. I had a chance to sail out of the fleet 250 beach Saturday morning!!!! Hit high tide just right. Had a wonderful time meeting members and look forward to the rest of the season and next year. Got some great lessons just looking around at the boats down there, but to my disappointment, not one 18 rigged for a spinnacker. I have a aluminum mast. I am curious about how to mount the pole to the cross beam? Can anyone supply a picture of this. I have the slot for the trampoline running the full length with the insert opening right in the center where it seems like the pole should go. I am going to start looking for misc. parts and a sail and will check back soon.

Randy
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jeremy at SurfCityCatamans.com can recommend and supply you with the right spinnaker pole attachment for your front crossbar. It requires 4 rivets and will cover your tramp entrance slots so will have to be removed if you ever replace your tramp but I think it is the most robust one out there that will fit the H18.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OlderBowman,
yes we are only a town apart. Would love to get together and take a look at everything all rigged up, or give you hand finishing it all up.
Where do you usually sail out of?

Randy
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Randy,
scroll down on this page to the thread entitled 'H18F Spin Setup' by NCMBM. Mike has several pix posted of his Frankenboat H18 that he has heavily modifed into a HF18SXtigerator.

this will give you some idea of what's entailed in riggin a spin.

at fleet 250, there are several Nacras, Tigers and other baots rigged with spins, they are not too different to what you'd do to an H18.

I usually sail out of Perth Amboy, but on a J109 ! For the Cat I find any place along the Bayshore. South Amboy, Leonardo, Atlantic Highlands. There are some great fleets up and down the Jersey shore.