Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello i currently purchased a 1987 hobie cat and i have a couple qestions for all of you guys. first off i have some minor hull dammage i have soft spots on the tops of both my hulls and one on the side of one of the hulls and i'm wondering if just injetcting fibeglass resin in between the delaminated layers would be enough or shoud i cut the soft spots and fill em back in. second i do not have a jib furler and i was wondering if any of you guys are familiar with that setup as i plan to keep it that way until i get new sails also i think my jib might be off of a h16 does any of you have specs on a h18 jib and if it is off a h16 can i still use it. third i have no sails battens at all is there a cheaper alternative to buying universal battens wich would cost me about 500$(thats a lot of cash for an old sail) i was thinking of fiberglass poles you would use for markin your driveway could it work? fourh i need a new tramp i found some on ebay some are vynil some are mesh wich would be best. and fifth i need a whole new tiller assebmly and i mean rudder casting poles the whole shabang what i have received seems to be off a h16 maybe exept for upper castings wich look like old style h18 castings and wooden rudders. sixth i need to put new neophrenes into my dagger board wells any tips?? seventh my comptip is cut in two pieces the previous owner cracked on one side and he cut it right in the middle of the crack i guess he was planning on repairing it has any of you guys fixed a comptip before how can it be done? and i think that is all (certainly hope so) i am planing on getting everything fixed so i can at least use it next summer any tips would be greatly apreciated cant wait to play around with this thing :D!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, have mercy! Be careful this thing doesn't become a money pit, or an unsafe boat, or both.

1. Check the Repairs forum for how to fix your de-lamination problem.
2. If the jib has battens or batten pockets it's a 16. If there are no batten pockets then it's an 18. The 18 jib also has a zipper along the entire length of the luff. It's also possible it's not a Hobie sail at all. I don't have measurements.
3. You don't have to have a furling jib, but if you're ordering parts from a Hobie dealer, such as new standing rigging (yes, from the condition of the boat as you describe all new Hobie manufactured standing rigging is strongly recommended - shrouds and anchor pins) then get the furler. You may find a used furler, but don't buy used rigging.
4. Someone else will have to answer your batten question.
5. After-market tramps are less expensive for a good reason - they don't last as long as a Hobie tramp. You'll save a buck now, but pay later. Even a used Hobie tramp may be a better deal.
6. Rudder assemblies are expensive new. Try to find used ones first. The upper castings are the same on the 17, 18, and 20.
7. Wooden rudders? I suppose they'll work for a while if you take care of them, but even Hobie's plastic rudders can be found used for a fair price, and new one's probably aren't as expensive as the hassle of making your own or putting a different manufacturer's rudders on.
8. I've not heard of comptip repairs, but check the Repairs forum to see if it's been discussed. Comptips aren't easy to find used and are expensive new. You may find it easier to buy an entire used mast than just the comptip, even an all aluminum mast will work.

Good luck!