Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My two brothers and I are considering buying a Hobie 18. We're all sailors, but it's been mostly bareboating, save our beloved Sunfish. But we think we need a new toy and don't want the hassle of trailering a 18'+ monohull.

A craigslist listing for a Hobie 18 caught our eye, and one of the bros will be taking a look on Friday. Being the eldest and most experienced of us all, I trust his judgement, but he did ask me to find out if there were any flaws specific to Hobie 18s that he should be aware of/on the lookout for.

If you were inspecting a Hobie 18, what would you look for?

Unfortunately, the craigslist listing was pretty bare bones. We think it's more the result of a novice doing the selling, rather than intentionally leaving out the essential details. We think he just doesn't know much about the boat. It's only been in fresh water since this owner bought it. He's had it for 2 years but doesn't know the year. We can just look for the serial #, though... (another clue this guy is a novice)

Any help you all can offer would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Spencer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Inspect all aluminum components closely for corrosion- particularly where stainless rivets and fittings are attached. Particularly, check the front crossbar at the mast step for any signs of corrosion or cracking.

Check under the hull flanges at all front and rear crossbar connection points (inner and outer) for signs of cracking. It's normal for the gelcoat to crack in this area, but cracks through the fiberglass are not acceptable. Also check to see if the shroud and front crossbar reinforcement kits are installed (a stainless steel fitting with four bolts that bolt through the hull at these points).

Otherwise, check for the standard things- soft spots on the hulls, worn sails, worn trampoline, all parts included, condition of the bottom of the hulls, condition of standing and running rigging, condition of trailer, any extras?

The Hobie 18 is an overall very sturdy boat.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look on this forum under FAQ's for a primer on how to decode HID numbers.
Print it and take it with you so you can decode it properly while you are looking at the boat.

What area of the country do you call home ?

Maybe forward one of us a link to the craigslist ad and let someone look at the ad so we can help you with concerns.

The biggest problem with the H-18 is soft spots in the decks of the hulls particularly in the area right forward of the rear crossbar where the skipper usually sits.

That having been said, soft spots characteristically can occur almost anywhere in the deck area, and occasionally in the sides.

Having a hobie owner that is familiar with how to spot them would be ideal, that is why I asked you what area of the country you call home.

Stephen