Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H-18 Wings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep looking for some used H-18 wings but they are a hot item. Has anybody made some out of Alum tube. It would seem to me that the fittings would be the hard part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought a set of used SX wings. During the shipping process the rear port and starboard ama support arms were damaged. The trucking agreed to pay for the replacement arms. The cost of each arm was $218. I did all the work myself and the repair bill was $558. You would have to make the wing frames out of aircraft alum tubing to keep the weight down. These could be built with a good tubing bender and a good alum welder. The only issue is buying all the fittings to attach to the boat. Here is a preview of what you would need: 4 support arms; $872, After market wing covers: $150, Strut tabs; $28, anchor plates; $52, end casting; $69, seat supports; $80, stainless steel rivets; $75, and a mounting bar kit; $20. As you can see the cost of making a set goes up quick. If you bought the 4 support arms from Hobie, your cost would be around $1350. You would be better off buying a new set of wings from Hobie for $1500 and then buy the aftermarket wing tramps for $150.

This is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Post subject: Wings
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I have a TIG welder and saw. The tubing bender is at work. Still hoping I can find a used set as time isn't free even if it is working on parts for your own boat. Like you said the component parts are not free.

Last year I made my own Snuffer pole and fittings for a spinnaker. Works great. I have under $850 in the whole spinnaker system including sail. The benefits of being a toolmaker turned engineer.