Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had a vinyl tramp on the H18 and it died. Replaced it with a mesh tramp thinking that since more boats have them, them must have an advantage. Never had an issue with water pooling on the vinyl, but understood that could be an advantage with mesh.

Was sailing in 4-6' swell last weekend with the mesh tramp. Every time we went through a wave, the tramp sucked water through it and slowed the boat down. With vinyl it would just bounce off and not slow the boat.

Can someone help me out to understand why I should be excited about mesh? Or should I go back to vinyl?? When flying a hull, I guess the mesh lets air through, rather than acting as another sail to continue pushing you over...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your right, the only advantages are that it does not act like a sail, when flying a hull, and it drains water. Im surprised it slowed you down that much thou.

I used to have a mesh, and switched to a vinyl. Not by choice but because I got a different boat. I like the vinyl better because I stay dryer. I have not noticed the vinyl acting like a sail, I think a lot of the air moves through the lacing strip. I don't thing the vinyl is slippery, a lot of people say that though.

So I would choose vinyl over mesh, at least for everyday use. If I was racing, and everyone else had mesh, then I would go back to my mesh, I don't know exactly why though.