Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you order a set of new H18 hulls on this deal by January 2010?
Yes 48%  48%  [ 12 ]
No 52%  52%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been reading through this thread and it would seem Hobie has at least 10 orders, not firm, but potential buyers. I'm guessing the definite YES in the poll is for those that are absolutely sure, are there any others absolutely sure ? Do you still need more time to decide ? I think this is a time to think real hard if there is really something that could change the outcome of things on a personal basis from here till the deadline in January. Can you really come up with the cash after Christmas ? Would pushing the decision deadline forward help the cash problem even if at the expense of not having the hulls for summer 2010 ?

With all due respect to all, why don't we focus on these questions and maybe keep this thread on topic.

Having put together a group of people to buy a bunch of boats at one time, I know it is no easy task and know what Stephen is going through. In my personal case I need to know where these will be built. Australia means an extra 15% in import taxes. U.S. manufactured goods are exempt of import duties by the CAFTA. I'm also pending on shipping quotes and other small things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

"IF" we build them... Where will they be built? 99.9% likely at our Australia facility.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

How much is a Tiger hull? We don't have a list price for one, but at the very least... $5,500... each.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, we are talking 7k vs 11k, thats a sizeable difference! I kind of thought the Tiger hulls were 5k or more. I don't want the new hulls to be lighter necessarily but I would like to see the deck lip go away. If you have ever trapped on a Tiger or similar design you know how much more comfortable it is. It looks like you have made critical mass, I look forward to seeing the new boats when you guys get them!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,

I hope you and the Hobie Cat Company are as encouraged as I am by the response. To have commitments for 7 sets of hulls at this time of year in a down economy is remarkable.

With a poll commitment for 7 sets of hulls, is it time to give the interested buyers some direction as to how to go about ordering a set of hulls from their dealer. What kind of a deposit will be required, and a projected date of availability for pickup or delivery.

To all those that have voted "YES in the Poll on this site, could you please shoot me an E-Mail so we can have a list of names and share information.
My level of comfort would go up a great deal if I had names and faces to put with the numbers. I would imagine that is the case for many.
If anyone has privacy concerns please let me know, and I can promise you that I will not divulge your name if you wish to remain unknown for the time being.
However, when you show up on the beach with a brand new set of Hobie 18 Hulls, the "Cat will be out of the bag" ( Pun Intended)

Lets keep the ball rolling and not let this unique opportunity slip away

Respectfully,
Stephen

My E-Mail Addy is
[email protected]
Phone # 303-619-0572

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I don't want the new hulls to be lighter necessarily but I would like to see the deck lip go away.

Totally impossible. The deck lip is one of the most critical elements of the hull/frame structure as well as the whole boat- not only is it used to connect the deck to the hulls, it's used to anchor the shrouds, crossbars, forestay bridles, and trampoline track to the hull. Removing the lip would require virtually an entire re-design of the hull/frame structure and fittings - at that point, you might as well just ask Hobie to design a whole new boat.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys, I would not waste time asking for modifications to the original design that involves molds or materials. There is no room for new research and development here. Resurrecting an old product line as was is difficult enough. It is totally undoable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'm planning to make an official offer to dealers / consumers in December pending final approval from the higher ups here.

There will likely be a large deposit required ($1,000?) to Hobie Cat. I'd guess non-refundable if the program moves forward to production. Certainly refundable if we fail to get the ten set minimum by mid January at the latest.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want the new hulls and I’m ready to hand over a deposit.
I may also purchase new dagger boards + sails and take advantage of the 20%
Do we know if new dagger boards will be made to fit the new hulls? I have found different width dagger boards out there and only want them if they are made to fit (as best possible) the new hulls.

I did contact Hobie
Backyard Boats
Woodbridge
2380 Research Court, Woodbridge, VA 22192
Phone: or 800-227-6132

Keith Strasser Mobile 240 529 2363

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, IF you do build these hulls, I hope they feature the current red Hobie diamond decal along with the stripes and the stern HOBIE letters, will this be so ? I would imagine HObie Cat wants these hulls to go out with a BANG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm fortunate that the hulls of my '88 H18 are in excellent shape, so I do not need the new ones offered here.

But I am very interested in a new set of daggerboards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can I get the discount on parts if I don't get the hulls" If so, I would like a new set of dagger boards and probably a few other items.

Sam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sam,

I think the discount is only available to those that are purchasing new hulls.

It is a unique opportunity to get a new set of hulls AND save a few bucks updating wear items on the platform you may currently own or be sailing.

If I have misunderstood the program, I am sure that Matt Miller will weigh in and clairify the matter.

I would imagine that Turtle Dave would be a very interested buyer on a set of new hulls given all the "spare" Hobie 18's he has laying around in his inventory. I know I have two complete boats in MY garage and all I need is a decent sets of hulls to put together complete boats.

Is there a Hobie Dealer in your area ?

Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I kind of thought that would be the case on just getting spare parts. I sent the fleet a notice on this deal and got a response from TrtlDave that he had plenty of hulls in good to very good shape so I really do not think he is interested.

I personally picked up a very very sweet deal on a 84 18 (practically new condition) in October. The daggers have been dragged a bit so I was just wondering. I can probably get these fixed up fairly easily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Banzilla wrote:
I personally picked up a very very sweet deal on a 84 18 (practically new condition) in October.

You need to reinforce the areas at the crossbar connections on an '84 if not already done. Crossbar retrofit plates and some glass inside to connect the deck and sidewall is recommended.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next