Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm trying to put everything back together on an 18 I picked up. I am starting to put everything back together the way the previous owner did and I'm not so sure he did this right. I don't think this is the original equipment and instead of reinventing the wheel, I figure you guys know what's going on here.

Any info about what is wrong, or right in these pics would be great. There seems to be way to much play , up and down as well as around the pin.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, it looks like your rudder system could use some work.

First, you are correct, there are bushings that should be installed between the rudder pin and the lower rudder casting. The original bushings are thin white pieces called 'nyliners'. They work OK. The best bushings to use are the new (well new back in the '90s) black bushings. They have a thicker wall and they stay in the casting better. You have to increase the holes in the lower casting by one drill size to get them to fit. They work very well and take out a lot of slop in the rudder system. Also, you should put a stainless steel flat washer between the upper gudgeon and the rudder casting otherwise the gudgeon eats into the casting.

The next issue is that it looks like the holes in your rudder may be in the wrong spot (based on your picture- I don't have a rudder assy in front of me to look at). It's possible that the previous owner switched from the old-style rudder castings to the new-style castings but never redrilled the rudder holes for the new. In order to know for sure, you'll need to either download the rudder hole drilling template or find someone who has a 17 or 18 (with the new castings) and use their rudder as a template. Then fill the existing holes with epoxy and re-drill in the proper location. The leading edge of the rudder should be touching or almost touching the inside of the rudder casting. Once you get the rudder holes in the correct spot, you can refer to the FAQ on this site for fine tuning the rudder adjustment.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sweet, thanks for the imput. . . . I'll get started getting everything together for the fix.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It also looks like the bottom gudgeon was raised a screw width for some reason (maybe a stripped backing). Not sure it matters.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

divimon2000 wrote:
It also looks like the bottom gudgeon was raised a screw width for some reason

That is a sign of the rudder upgrade. Older castings from pre-1985 to the current castings requires moving the lower gudgeon up a notch.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What SRM said, PLUS, by the look of your delrin tension screw, seems like kick up pressure is way way too light. Make sure the cams are not broken, pull out the spring and ball, lubricate with marine grease, and reinstall. Adjust the kick up pressure to factory settings with a fish scale by screwing in. I believe you should show about 3/8" of delrin screw sticking out. Oh and don´t forget to follow the proper procedure to adjust for the rudder rake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Right on the bolt location issue... these look to be drilled for old style castings.

Here is a link to the drilling template and instructions: http://static.hobiecat.com/web_uploads/2009/12/08/60330100.pdf

Cam and adjustment info: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/rudders_cams.html

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you guys so much. . . . I'm sure I'll be posting lots more when I finally get out on my 18. . .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rudder rake is an important thing. If you sail it like that you will have about 50 pounds of helm pressure when the wind cranks up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I did read up on all the proper setting. There is alot more going on with the rudders as I start to get them up to par. Everything is pretty stuck including all adjustments. Most little parts will just need replacing. As soon as I figure out how to get the print out correct on the screw placement for the rudders I'll redrill the holes. I'm almost there, just a couple more parts and some spare time. . . This boat sat outside and didn't move for like 7 years so all the plastic is gone. . .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just did the exact same thing on my 18 just today and so far is seem to tighten up the castings quite a bit. I did find that you can get the nylon spacers at lowes dirt cheap. Lets just see how long they last.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to update. I got everything how I think it should go. I've not fine tuned the rudder assembly yet, but just wanted to double check with you guys to see if there is anything that looks out of place at this point. Everything is really tight. The only play is in the pins which are worn a bit, but I can live with that until I can get new ones. I pretty much replace all of the consumables as well as drilled new holes based on the recommendations above. Everything seems to be really snug. . .

Does everything look right to you guys? Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks a heck of a lot better. Couple of minor things-

You probably want to put a stainless steel flat washer between the upper gudgeon and the top of the rudder casting. This will keep the gudgeon from wearing into the casting/bushing (you may have to insert the bushing in from the top of the casting so there is enough room to do this).

Also, it looks like you may be using aluminum rudder pins. I'd switch to stainless steel. Stainless pins simply don't break.

Other than that, I think you'll find that your boat handles considerably better as a result of the fixes you've done.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if I have to be worried about the aluminum where I live. I'm on the gulf side (florida) in a harbor that I doubt I'll be sailing out of for quite awhile. I'll replace the aluminum, but for now I'm just wanting ot get out on the water. I thought I read in another post it would work for my setting, but if I were on the fun side of the pond I'd have to put stainless in.

Good call on the washer, I think this was mentioned before. I'll get on it before I finally get out on the water for my first sail on an 18. Is there a possibility to trim up the top gudgeon to fit a washer. It seems that that would be a better option than flipping the bushing.

thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where in FL do you live? I'm in Dothan, AL, about 85 mile north of Panama City. If your close maybe we can get together and sail.