Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm considering replacing the sails on my 1982 Magnum. I would love to go with the Mylar SX sails, but do not know if I have an SX mast. When did Hobie lengthen the mast and change the designation from "magnum" to "SX"? Currently my sails are #8982 and are dacron (or whatever the originals were) - they are in good shape, but I really do not like the rainbow color scheme. (I've replaced everything else on the boat and the sails need updating) Anybody have any ideas? If I don't have the 28' mast, will I be stuck with getting the dacron sails? Thank you in advance!

edit: The serial (hull number) is CCMH7711M836 on both hulls. These are hand etched in - I've never had a boat like that, but anyway that's the number if it helps. Thanks Again!

Joe Zaloudek

Post subject: Magnum, Formula, SX ?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Magnum, Formula, SX ?

There are lots of different names for the same thing, but there are also different setups.

A "Magnum" was a Hobie 18 with the first wings we made. Then we came out with lomger wings and called them SX Wings. If you have dacron sails, you have standard 18 sails and mast length. We have never sold mylar H18 sails for the standard length mast or Dacron sails for the longer mast. Mylar IS NOT available for the standard mast length.

The Hobie 18 SX is a taller mast , mylar sails and the newer longer wings.

The taller mast and mylar sails was first built in Europe and they called it a Formula 18. We built some here with sails that said "Formula" before changing the name to Hobie 18 SX and including the wings.

We also built standard Hobie 18s with white powder coated metal... and called them Hobie 18 Formulas.

Confused?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt -
Thank you very much for your information! I have suspected that the mast is the standard length, but haven't gotten the chance to measure it... Does Hobie have any H18 sails left over from previous years' color schemes? I'm interested in replacing these sails, but not sure what colors to go with... Thanks again.

Joe Zaloudek