Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All below are listed under Hobie 18 Line Lenghths in the NACHA

What is and do I need and/or how do I install the 5'-6" piece of 1/4" shock cord that becomes the "Jibsheet Tangle Preventer?" (yes, my jib sheets tangle, and thank you for asking)

and then the 5'-6" piece of 1/8" flag halyard that is the "Jib Luff Tensioner"

and finally the 6' piece of 3/16" yacht that is the "Jib Tensioner Line"

and oh what the hell, how about two each 3' by 3/16" yacht that is the "Centerboard Line" (not to be confused with the daggerboards now, we know where those babies are)

I'm getting sleepy, but....must know. :?

Post subject: lines for what?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

lines for what?

The tangle preventer creates an upside down "V". Start at the striker rod about 1 1/2 foot from the mast. Up to the diamonds and across to the opposite one then down to the striker rod again. Keeps the sheets from catching around the base of the mast.

There was also a bungee that was to pass from jib sheet block to jibsheet block. Went to the eye strap at the jaws. Passed through a small tramp grommet just aft of the block locations and near the center of the tramp half. This kept the blocks oriented correctly. I never used that one.

The Jib luff tensioner should be tied to the tack shackle. When you hoist the jib, pass the luff tensioner through the block or thimble on the jib halyard wire. Back down to the luff cleat or just tie off after tensioning. Remove the jib halyard and stow.

I think the two references for the jib luff tensioner are the same thing.

3 foot of 3/16"? Hummm. There is a short loop of 3/16 that I added to the dagger bungee system. Through the deck hole forward of xbar... on the rail. The line would be shorter though. Maybe one foot tied in a loop. The loop pulled up through the hole and the knot under the rail. Would lock there. We would add a plastic carbine hook to the dagger bungee (looped through the dagger board hole and runs forward to the loop in the rail. Hook the carbine to the loop to connect. The bungee pulls the board forward to lock it in positions of use.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)