Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: capsize on a tiger
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi bought a tiger about 2 months ago and can sail it perfectly. The only problem is when we capsize, me and my father sail it. When we are both out on the wire and when we capsize my father has landed on the boom twice and both times snapped it unfortunatly, it is a 2003 boat. I was just wondering what other people do in the event of a capsize when both are trapezing and were they jump/land on as there is a very small gap between the boom and the tramp, any advice would be much appreciated as this is becoming a more costly event than should be expected!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For what it's worth never bail inword towards the sails/boom aways jump back out into open water, you aways have more time than you think you do. At some point on the way up and over the speed starts to back off that's when you have to decide do I get off the wire and jump or do I go for the full ten dollar ( sorry mate, pound) ride.
good luck
harvey :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

While at a sailing resort in Antigua, we were taught a crazy thing that makes a lot of sense. They STRONGLY discourage jumping between the boom and the tramp because of the danger of entanglement, even on the bloomless boats like the H15 (Europe model). They also recommend never jumping off the backside due to separation from the boat (as it sails quickly with just the tramp area and it was 25k-30k all week while we were there!!!). They taught, and we practiced several times, jumping onto the main sail. Sounds crazy, but if you belly flop or land on flat on your back with arms and legs spread, the water takes the force and it is easy on the sails. Don’t go feet first obviously, and don’t aim for the mast. This method keeps you in contact with the boat, is easy, and is surprisingly low impact. Even when left sitting on the high hull, this was the preferred method rather than climbing down in the big waves and risking a slip. This resort had all boats in excellent condition and a fantastically picky maintenance staff and they insisted this was the safest, least damaging method. Now that I have actually done it, I agree. Remember, spread out the impact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea, but what did they say about landing on a batten?

Probably not a good idea for some of us to belly flop as we wear hiking harnesses, and would not want to land on a sail with an exposed 'hook.'

So now some bright spark will suggest we try running up the mast and see if we can touch the Hobie Bob before it hits the water!

Loved Antigua, would go back there in a flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From one of our more experienced instructors, Peter G, who sails a 1982 H18.

My take is as follows,
When in danger of capsize do the following.
Push on the stick so heading up, if you can get up into the wind enough the moment of force that is attempting to tip the boat over will be severely reduced. At the same time you will be positioning the boat for an easy recovery from the capsize if all your other methods fail.
Un-sheet the mainsail this further reduces power and hence the moment of force that is causing a capsize situation. This action also makes it easier to recover from a capsize as the boat is less lightly to sail away when you right it again.
If your crew is sharp enough they will have uncleated the jib, again reducing power.
Remove your toes from the hiking strap and put your heal into it lean back hard, in almost all cases this will recover the boat without a capsize. Don't give up to early because as the sail goes towards the horizontal the force attempting to cause the capsize will diminish, recovery can be made to about 85 degrees. When the top end of the mast touches the water or slightly before take your heel out of the hiking strap and slide down the tramp you will almost certainly fall onto the sail grab something to prevent yourself from being separated from the boat.
Check for injuries go to righting drill.
Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 18 that I have capsized about a half dozen times. We have also had numerous close calls while flying a hull but have recovered using the previously recommended methods of steering into the wind or letting out on the Main sheet. For those times that we have gone over completely - not turtled - we have found that the safest method has been to scoot our rear on over to the side of the hull as the mast dips to the water. We then release the traveler, and main and jib sheets, turn around and jump into the water below the hulls. I have installed righting lines under the tramp and with two people the boat has always popped right up. With the sheets released there is less chance of the boat taking off by itself but I always warn my crew to hold on to the righting line once the boat is upright to prevent being left behind.