Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rivit questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been working on getting my boat ready for the new sailing season and have been replacing parts. I was draining water from inside my Magnum wings and I noticed that the rivits that hold the end caps had a "spacer" between them and the alumunim tube. What material is this spacer? I think the rivits themselves are Monel from the extra effort it took to drill them out.

Also, I wanted to remove and reattach my tramp side rails (they are getting a little loose). I noticed in the parts guide there are washers that back up the tivits. What material are these? Should I wait until I refinish my hulls to do this? Or is the track being slightly loose something I should fix ASAP?

Thanks in advance guys!

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the rivet sleeves in the aluminum wings are monel.

When you remove the tramp side rails you may find the holes in the hulls have become enlarged - to the point that just replacing the rivets won't keep the side rails tight. I have filled the holes with west system epoxy and high density adhesive filler, then redrilled the holes using the side rails as a template.

I don't know what material the original rivet washers on underneath the lip of the hull are made of. I replaced them with stainless rivet washers a couple of years ago on a H18 and they have held up well.

Perhaps Mat Miller could comment?

Chris.

Post subject: Rivets
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I noticed in the parts guide there are washers that back up the tivits. What material are these? Should I wait until I refinish my hulls to do this? Or is the track being slightly loose something I should fix ASAP?

The washers are aluminum. I would probably tighten up the tramp and forget the tracks are a little loose. The load is in shear on the rivets, so not a big deal. Not likely to be a failure issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt. That will save me a weekend of work on the boat.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a little bit more information here to help. The washers that back up the rivets for the tramp tracks on the hulls need to have a slight curve to them to seat properly. If you leave them flat this will make the problem of the holes in the hulls getting larger. Like Matt said, there is just a shear force on the rivets. If you leave the backup washers flat, then the rivet will tend to wiggle slightly back a forth port to starboard to port.

When I replaced mine, I slightly bent the washers to the curvature of the lip on the inside edge of the hulls with pliers. As a result, they were easier to put on, allowed the rivet to seat properly, and distributed the load (tightening) of the tramp better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie 18 #7877 wrote:
Just a little bit more information here to help. The washers that back up the rivets for the tramp tracks on the hulls need to have a slight curve to them to seat properly. If you leave them flat this will make the problem of the holes in the hulls getting larger. Like Matt said, there is just a shear force on the rivets. If you leave the backup washers flat, then the rivet will tend to wiggle slightly back a forth port to starboard to port.

When I replaced mine, I slightly bent the washers to the curvature of the lip on the inside edge of the hulls with pliers. As a result, they were easier to put on, allowed the rivet to seat properly, and distributed the load (tightening) of the tramp better.

I also prebent the washers. They are reasonably akward to fit. In my case I had to fix the holes and re-rivet the tracks as a couple of the rivets had pulled out. This was after double grommeting the tramp and lacing it with a skinny spectra line and probably tensioning it a wee bit too hard (I think I ate a can of spinach first). As Matt says - they are in shear so unless they are really loose or pulled out you can probably ignore them for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are not too loose and I only noticed them move when I grab the firmly and they only move about .075" total.

About the washers. I was thinking of fabricating a piece of stainless bar that fit into the grove under the deck lip to spread the load out over more surface area. From what I remember the groove "pinches" fairly tight in the middle third of the rivit hole pattern. Am I correct? If so does anyone have measurements that I can use to custom fit this bar in place?

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO