Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1990 SX-18.The mast has the full length plastic luff track. When I raise the main sail and try to hook it, the luff rope pulls out of the track. I also have an H-18 Magnum mast and I noticed that it has a section of aluminum luff track about a foot long at the head of the mast. So I checked the Hobie parts catalog and found the Mast Luff Track Update-part #50404101. Has anyone ever installed one of these? How do I remove the mast head assembly and cut the existing luff track to install this part? Thanks for any help, Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did the install on a 17 comptip a few years back. The track comes with a one-page instruction sheet. Basically what you do is carefully pry off the plastic track (follow the instructions so you don't damage the comptip groove). Then mark the the plastic track and cut off the top 12" or so using a hack saw. Then snap the plastic track back on. Supposedly the aluminum track can also be snapped on, but I wasn't able to get it to do so, and I thought I would break something by beating it with a mallet. So I took of the mast head and slid the track on from the top. All you do is drill out the six rivets that hold on the halyard hook and the mast head slides out of the comptip. Then slide on the track and re-install the mast head/halyard hook with new rivets.

sm