Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just had a chance to work some of the bugs out on the old Hobie as I'm saving for a new set of main sheet blocks. I'm almost there. . . . but in the mean time I figured I do a couple little things. I saw the new hulls that were made this year and really liked the new red decals. . . . Here's how they look, I even put some red line on the wings to go with the theme. . . still have to get the small hobie decal to put on, but that can come later.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those look great! I need to take off the old peeling stripes, buff the hulls and then maybe I could put some nice decals on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice looking rig ....

By the way you have a set of Magnum Wings w/ the crossbrace that are the most desirable of those produced .... great pic .....

You may wish to install footstraps made of 2" nylon web material that are sewn to the magnum seat covers ... vs the ones that you attach w/ SS screws to the actual metal tube of the magnum wings .... they make holes in the covers and can pull out if you have a "large crew" combined w/ a violent stuffing (ie: pitchpole) of the bows .... If you can keep your wieght aft .... you can actually drive the H18 so hard as to bury the boat up to the front crossbar w/ whitewater going over the tramp ..... ease the mainsheet ... the bows rise ... and you take off again .... (and the H16 next to you just looks on in amazement ... WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!!! )

And don't ever lose that "Mast Caddy" .... they are not made anymore and are no longer availible .... they are the best. For long distance trailering attach a bungie cord to the mast caddie and run it forward attaching it to the tramp lacing so as to "pre-load" the mast caddie w/ a slight forward tilt. As the trailer flexes traveling on the road the mast acts as a "truss member" and the mast caddie rocks a little .... the bundie helps prevent the caddie from rocking too far aft and coming off the crossbar .....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And ... loose those D-MN rollers on the trailer .... your boat is too nice for those things to scuff/mark/dent up the hulls ... reference my posts about bunks w/ carpet ... cradles .... or check out the thread here ... H18: The Big Project and the mods made to the trailer .... best job I've seen!!!!

I'm kind of fond of my "Moliki Strips" ....... but I do like the new decals .... sharp looking ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good looking boat. The wings stress the hulls so do yourself a favor and get the anchor plates at the inside and outside of the front crossbar, and at least the outside of the rear crossbar.

Also I found that allowing the hulls to breath well, "vent" the water dosn't collect inside. A dry boat hull is a happy boat hull. See the PVC vents in the winterizing FAQs. They are on my boat as I made them, and use them year round. I change them out to standard covers when sailing.

Ditto on Harry's remark about the trailer rollers, get cradles or risk deformation of the hulls.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys. I have fixed the mast caddy a couple of times. I do my best to take care of it though. I've also got the anchor plates on my to do list. Will get them done soon. My trailer is beat. Someone prior to me ran into something so it's all twisted up. My whole boat rides about 6 to 8 inches to the one side :o . . .lol. I need to upgrade a couple things, but It'll take time. I keep my hobie in my warehouse, so no need for airing out the hulls, I just take the covers off. If I find a spot to keep her rigged then I'll do it, but now I have no need. Cradles are on the list too. I'll get there. . .

Just can't wait to get my new blocks. . . then out on the water again!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm trying to figure out where your boat is at.

Florida Street?

I'll pm you.

More Hobie's on Charlotte Harbor!

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm at a loss trying to explain to myself why everyone, including the factory, is placing the diamond decals off center in the hulls ? To me the diamond should be centered between the reinforcement plates.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just followed the Hobie way. . . didn't put much thought into where I personally wanted them. Just copy and paste. . I liked the new hulls and how they looked, so I went for it. I do kinda like the decals there though. I think it really shows the shape of the classic hobie lines off without making it look like I'm an advertisment. The good thing is you can put them whereever you want on your boat. . . Not trying to cause waves, but center of boat is not between the plates.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The factory decal position is closer to the centroid of the projected hull area - in other words, it's balanced, but it's actually a bit too far aft even in the factory position. In the promotional pieces I have, it's located between the shroud attachment and the front crossbar.

The factory position is directly below the shroud attachment point - on all the boats (16, 17, 18), which provides a convenient reference point for the installer.

Putting it further aft looks odd:

Last edited by MBounds on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Midships is actually very close to between the reinforcement plates right rear of the front crossbar. That is the sweetest spot for the diamond. IMO only of course.

MBounds, I cannot see the pic you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:30 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Al wrote:
Midships is actually very close to between the reinforcement plates right rear of the front crossbar. That is the sweetest spot for the diamond. IMO only of course.

I misunderstood your post - "between the reinforcement plates" - I interpreted as "between the crossbars", when you meant "between the front crossbar and the shroud attachment."

You're correct, that's the spot shown on the promotional literature, and closest to the center of the hull area. I suspect that the shroud attachment point is just too convenient a reference point for the installer.

(and I fixed the URL of the image)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I get it. . . I did what the factory did the easy way out. . . never even crossed my mind to think about where midship is. . . next hull I may heed your advice, but for now, I have to think that this will do . . .lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice posts, great looking 18 but all the "wind" associated with decal placement tells me we are in the winter doldrums. . . . . :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
Al wrote:

I misunderstood your post - "between the reinforcement plates" - I interpreted as "between the crossbars", when you meant "between the front crossbar and the shroud attachment."

You're correct, that's the spot shown on the promotional literature, and closest to the center of the hull area. I suspect that the shroud attachment point is just too convenient a reference point for the installer.

(and I fixed the URL of the image)

Right my thoughts exactly, and I gave reason for the misinterpretation of my post.

I would like to see the image but stll can´t.