Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My h18 has this anchor on all 8 cross-bar to hull fasteners.

I am trying to find out what I need for the plate ungrade. I see this style of plate used. In what locations should this go? Inside and outside of the front bar? My 18 has wings.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You need to get the Anchor Plate Kits. Hobie part # 64100001. Recommend one at all 4 front crossbar spots. The decision to put them on the rear crossbar spots is more complicated since it involves cutting portholes in the deck. There are numerous threads here that discuss the process.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The number one spot you should have the anchor plate kit is on the shroud anchor pins. Good to have the anchor plate kit on the crossbars as well. I plan on putting one on my aft cross bar. Ryan 1978 H18 1534 Division 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rssailor wrote:
The number one spot you should have the anchor plate kit is on the shroud anchor pins. Good to have the anchor plate kit on the crossbars as well. I plan on putting one on my aft cross bar. Ryan 1978 H18 1534 Division 3

The anchor plate kit your talking about putting on the shrouds, is this the same kit (# 64100001) as the one that needs to be installed on aft cross bar? I just got a '78 H18 and it doesn't have any anchor plates installed anywhere. I want to get this all fixed up and solid so just wanted to make sure there wasn't two different parts for this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First, put them on the Shroud Anchor pins, and the outsides of the front crossbar.

Next if you really want to, put them on the insides of the front crossbar.

If you are sailing in heavy surf, and are really concerned, you can put them on the outside of the rear crossbar after cutting a hole in the deck behind the rear crossbar. Use a 4" deck port kit with the curved ring after you are done.

Look at the distance between the bow and the front crossbar compared to the distance between the rear crossbar and the transom. Personally, I do not believe they are necessary on the rear crossbar, there just isn't that much stress back there.

Putting them on the inside of the rear crossbar is next to impossible. The clearances are just too tight.

Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think Stephen is right about the rear application. I have damaged one boat at the rear crossbar but I am certain it is from jumping the boat off waves. The impact of landing is quite stressful on the outside of the hull. Most sailors will never launch the H18 off a wave so the chances of this damage is slim.

A '79 should not need the brackets at the front but at the shroud would not hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an 83 H18 with SX wings.

I have the anchor plates at the shroud connections but not at any of the crossbar connections. I am primarily lake sailing but we do get some waves/boat wakes that are fun to hit. My understanding was that on a 83 hull you did not need the anchor plates at the cross bars.

What is the general opinion on Anchor plates at the front crossbars? I will not be doing the inspection ports for the rear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice on the anchor plates! I was planning on placing them at the shrouds and the front cross bars. My biggest concern was the shrouds because there is a crack underneath the lip that I'm going to have to fix and I want to make sure it is strong. I figured with a bit of glass work the plates would help both in the repair and for preventive.

If I ever get where I'm doing some serious sailing or some wave jumping I'll probably consider installing a set in the back as well but I have a lot to learn before I'll ever be doing that! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're certainly not going to hurt anything by adding the new plates, it'll only make the boat stronger, so cheap insurance.

However, that being said, I would do an inspection of the hulls before getting too concerned. The anchor plates were updated after Hobie changed the layup of the 18 hulls in the mid-80's. Early 80's and 1970's boats are less prone to damage.

Look under the hull lip and see if there are any signs of stress cracking. If there are cracks, repair them and then install the new plates. If there are no cracks, then you're probably ok to leave as is unless you sail the boat particularly hard.

sm