Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

of my daggerboards got stuck in the "Down" position. I don't know what the heck happened because this has never occured before, but it took just about every ounce of strength and quite a bit of time (while weaving around other boats) to get the damn thing raised. Not fun when you're out on your own and you realize at some point you're going to have to return to the beach!

Have you guys ever had this happen? Suggested remedies? FYI I do have rubber "spacers" glued into the topside dagger well openings (presumably to improve/tighten the fit??).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sea weed can cause this, or sea sticks. Pretty much any sea trash.
Its good you got it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When my girl tries to pull it up, many times she pulls up strait and it locks in. When it does I just reach my foot up from the driving position and kick it hard from the rear to "unlock" it. I should put some padding in cause one time I will crack the front top of the trunk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is the rubber glued into the top leading edge of the daggerboard trunk? If so, then that is probably the culprit. Check the fit with the boat on the trailer and the boards in the fully down position. If there is a small gap between the very front edge of the dagger board and your rubber spacer, then it is likely that the rubber is too thick or extends too far aft, and the board is getting wedged in against the rubber. You would need to trim back the rubber or use something more forgiving instead like carpet. When it comes to padding the daggerboard trunk, less is more. Definitely better to be on the "sloppy" side.

Also, as others have noted, if you don't pull the board up properly, it will wedge into the trunk.

Make sure everything is running smoothly on land before hitting the water.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks guys. SRM, the 4-6" rubber strips are very thin (thinner than a bicycle inner tube) and glued lengthwise along the inner edge only, not on the leading or trailing edges. They were installed on the boat when I bought it but I don't think they're the cluprit as I've raised and lowered these boards dozens of times without an issue. I think Menky is right, something got lodged in there. This makes sense because I had to drag the boat on the sand quite a ways to get it to the water's edge. Next time I'm going to try and "flush" the wells better before launching.

Regardless, a terrific day on the water. Take care!