Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for M miller
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I am ordering the 120" Hot stick out of the catolougue, does it come standard with a grip, or do I need to order that separately?

Marty in Canada
2003 Hobie 18SX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hotsticks come with a rubber grip on the end of the stick about 6" long. They have a tendency to slip off.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the cork end glued on the way to go then?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes .... it makes the Hotstick float when you tack the boat and "throw" the Hotstick around the mainsheet stack.

Note 1: the Cork Balls where origonally solid w/ NO hole ... the new ones have a small hole in them (to help in the manufacturing process???) .... you may wish to fill that hole w/ Epoxy ..... (don't ask how I know) .... but sand/grit can get in that small hole and jam your Hotstick up !!!

Note 2: Coat the Cork Ball w/ WEST Epoxy .... it greatly extends the "life" of the cork ball ... because as it rubs on the deck, the antiskid texture has a tendency to wear the cork ball away

Note 3: I cover my Hotsticks in 1/8" Neoprene up to the corkball. You can order it from Murray's ... 4" wide .... trim it slightly .... glue on w/ contact cement ... wrap in shrinkwrap to force all the air bubbles out ... let cure/set-up. It makes the Hotstick VERY easy to grip ... protects it from UV ... and if you bend the stick till it breaks it keeps you from getting shards/splinters in your hands (again, don't ask how I know about this ....)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not a big fan of the cork ball- too bulky for my taste. I prefer foam grip. On my tiller I riveted on a short length of windsurfing boom to the end about 8" long. It has a comfortable grip and has held up well for the past several years.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a friend who uses "wiffle balls" that he attaches to the end of the Hotstick .....

Looks a little "Hokie" .... but it works also .....

I just buy the "cork" balls .... they're fairly cheap and easy to do ..... ( I just keep one or two extra's around and when I am doing Epoxy projects, I just use the extra mixed epoxy to coat the cork ball .... they call them a "carmelized" cork ball ... kind of like a "Candied Apple" ???? )

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11