Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the information guys! There is still I don't know and the only time I get to physically see most of this stuff is when it comes in the mail.

srm - thanks for the advice on the boom block. If I go with a stack I might try it like that.

Harry - Thanks for the advice on the Lewmar's. I was thinking about doing something like that because it looked like that's what they did with the Harken's but couldn't get a good picture to know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi FunkyWalker,

When I purchased my H18 in 1985 it came already w/ the optional 7X1 Mainsheet Stack using Harken "Big Block" (3" dia) and it was confiquired almost the same ... except ... the single block attached at the camcleat was orientated for and aft. I noticed two thing, first that the line was rubbing/chafting between the single block and the center pulley on the lowwer triple block ... secondly there was a tiny setscrew on the single block that allowed you to "set/fix" that block so that it would remain in one particular orientation. So I set it perpendicular/orthogonal to the triple blocks axis and played w/ the "stringing/threading" of the line through the blocks until I had no crosses that touched each other.

Now because of my Magnum Wings I had a loooooonnnnnggggg mainsheet line that was always getting wrapped around my feet or washed overboard .... I liked the Lewmars so I set-up two different mainsheet stacks .... one for use w/ the Magnum Wings and one w/ the Lewmars and 5/16" Yale Conception for "Class Racing". Now the Harken Blocks are kept in my trailerbox as spares/back-ups and I just have two different mainsheet lines of different lengths that I swap back and forth, since I really really like the Lewmars's action and thefiner adjustment for the camcleat angle adjustment. BUT .... I just need to always adjust the angle of the camcleat since the two set-ups required between w/Wings and w/o Wings are different (I forgot several times and either you couldn't uncleat, too low, while trapped-out on the wings ==> PITCHPOLE .... or w/o wings you can't cleat, too high ==> so you need to handhold all day). I think I'll purchase some 5/16" Yale Conception this year and restring the Harken "Big Blocks" for sailing w/ MagWings and just use the Lewmars for Class Racing again. ( my MagWing mainsheat line is currently 1/2" Aramid from approximently 1990 and is just too thick and doesn't feed through the 7X1 system as well as the 5/16" Conception .... besides it's OVERKILL as you do not need such a high-strength line on a H18 ... maybe a J35 or a +40' Trimaran .... or to tow my truck w/ trailer down the highway!!!)

Side Note: I had for my P19MX set-up a 8X1 Mainsheat Stack (as discribed in my previous post so I could "grind" the squaretop mainsail when racing ... but ... I liked the 7X1 Lewmar Mainsheat Stack so much ... and the extra line length required was just too slow and bother-some ... so I just use the 7X1 Lewmar MainSheet Stack w/ 5/16" Conception on both boats now for racing

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi "flaco",

If you are confused ... so must be others about what I have done to my Jibsheet Blocks ....

First, yes, I'm using (2) Harken "Little Hexaratchet" (2 1/4" dia sheave) Model #H188 (ref: Annapolis Performance Sailing, 2011 Catalog, pg 55 / http: www.apsltd.com)

The Model#H188 consists of a single block w/ becket and camcleat. The camcleat is mounted to the block housing on two SS side-plates that allow 180* access for the line to the sheave (they do not meet/touch ...) Now looking closely at the picture you will see that the camcleat is orientated to release downwards ... (from top ==> bottom)the camcleat assemble consists of a SS Backing Plate, a Red Base Plate, the camcleat w/ aluminum jaws and is held on by SS Machine Screws w/ nuts (sometimes they're Nylocs ... thats good). So undo the nuts ... replace the SS Machine Screws w/ slightly longer screws (1/2"?) ... turn the camcleat over including the red base plate and the SS Backing Plate (you'll actually be "flipping" it end over end ... if that makes sense) ... rebolt in place w/ the SS Backing Plate on the bottom. I added a small SS Flat Washer between the camcleat and the SS Side Plate/Camcleat mounting point just for added clearence ....

Hopefully this answered your questions ....

I'm not too good w/ computers .... I'm lucky I can turn this crazy thing on .... posting pictures is beyond me ...

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just remembered ..... the Hexaratchet #H188 uses (2) SS Machine Screws w/ COUNTERSUNK HEADS to mount the camcleat assemble to the block ... these need to be replaced w/ SS Machine Screws w/ PAN HEADS when you "flip" the camcleat over since they will be passing through the SS Backing Plate first .... this why they need to be slightly longer.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Harry,
I think I understand now. So after the flip, you've discarded the cam fairlead, and the line will now pass in-between the adjustable side plates, right?
That's what I was confused about....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CORRECT!!!!

... since I had purchased the Harken #H188 (to replace my "Seaways") long before I purchased my Lewmar Mainsheat Blocks and made the modification to the Jib Blocks .... resulting in the "fairleads" ending up in my "spare/extra parts" collection ... so ... when I did purchase the Lewmar Blocks and needed a "fairlead" to assemble the 7X1 Mainsheet Stack ... I just used one of those .... and it was exactly what I needed ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11