Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to get back in to sailing Hobie cats. I sailed a 16 growing up and than bought an 18 that I plum wore out over the years. I have been out of sailing for about ten years and am out of the loop as far as improvements and changes . Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks Tom

I have a 18 that needs to much work and am looking for another but would like to know how others feel about other options. My 18 was outstanding and performed great and I was able to pput it up rather quickly. How do others feel about the 17 foot cat with no dagger boards, do the sail like the 18 . What about going bigger , 20 or 21 .

The only thing about my 18 was I always wanted the wings , never sailed one with but its gotta be nice.

Thanks in advance for any advice, by the was I live on the West coast of Fl and sail in a nice sized bay mostly with moderate weather and temps , so I am looking for a boat that will be a pleasure to sail but still fast. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have a budget? Want to race locally?

Will you have crew?

A true F18 like the Tiger or Wildcat would be a step up in performance over the H18. For pure durability the H18 can't be beat. And, yes, the wings are nice!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hqve found that by the time i do all the work i want to do to my 18, new sails, tramp, blocks, sheets, daggers and seld tacking, i could have easily bought a older f18. I am justifying it witb the nothing that i and my friends can abuse my 18 leaning to handle it. When i manage to break a hull off i will go to an f18

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree that spending $$ on an older H18 can add up but some smaller things like sails, lines, etc can be the best investment. I like the A-Cat idea better than the F18/16 unless you have constant crew.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I ever change from my H18 it will be F16 or the I17R NACRA. I really like the I17 platform but there is more racing on F16/18 boats nationwide. Lots of I20s racing in west florida. I20 is a great boat but a little too much for the beach.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really like my Hobie 18 with wings. Very comfortable. They are the only reason I have stayed with the 18.
With that said I will go to a F-16 to race either one or two up. I wonder if you can put wings on a F16.......

The A cats are becoming more popular due to the light weight.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think there are wings available for the Capricorn and the Viper but not certain. I know there are wings for the FX1 and the Tigers. Maybe even the Wildcat!!!!I love the way the Wildcat looks, just like the Fox but smaller, still not a beachcat though!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ncmbm wrote:
I think there are wings available for the Capricorn and the Viper but not certain.

Nope, not through us. There might be something available in the after market, but AHPC does not have a wing option for any of their boats.