Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I recently replaced the standing rigging on my 18. All the adjusters seem to be a hole or two higher than before. Do the cables stretch that much over time or have the specs changed since my '84 was built or is there that much variation in manufacturing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably a little of both. The cables can stretch slightly and also there is certainly manufacfuring variation. I've noticed the same thing before. It also depends where you get the shrouds. As long as they reach and allow you to set your rake where you want it, you're ok. You can also use 10 hole shroud adjusters if necessary.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got my rig from Murrays in CA. They have a pretty good reputation and they always treat me right. I support the local guy when I can but he's an hour away. His prices aren't bad but he KILLS me on the shipping. Usually double or triple what it costs me to ship from CA. Last time he was going to charge me almost $10.00 to drop 2 drain plugs in the mail. If I can get to him he gets the business. If not I call CA. </rant>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I doubt the rigging is from an 84. Most people change them 3-9 years. I found the original rigging from my boat (an 84 too) in the bottom of a box the previous owner gave me and they were in bad shape, broken strands and cracked nicon fittings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not sure if the standing rigging was original or how old it was. The boat I bought had not been sailed much and was in pretty cherry condition. The sails and running rigging were original and in good shape. It would not astonish me if the standing rigging were original but also not surprise me if it had been replaced.

I had sailed it for two years and when one of the shrouds showed signs of deteriorating I thought it was time to replace (almost) everything. Florida missed Irene but the winds were in the 20's and I didn't want to sail into that without a rig I had complete confidence in.