Now that I have logged some significant time on my freshly re-built H18, I have some rigging questions for those of you that know this boat inside and out.
1. Does anyone know how to use sister clips? Does the short line with small clip get used as the tension line?
2. The jib block gets caught at the top of the Jib and is tricky to get to slide inside the luff. Any suggestions on how to keep this from hanging up?
3. Has anyone sailed the 18 with no main, just the Jib? How does it perform? Can the boat tack and beat? My launching area is such that I would like to be able to sail under jib only to a clear area on the water to bend the main.
4. Obviously, depending on crew weight, wind, waves, etc. optimum mast rake will vary. I am looking for a starting point. How many holes do most of you have exposed above the roller furler? Which hole do you use for the front shroud? After tensioning the side shrouds, what hole do you end up in?
5. The traveler on my 18 is well lubricated, but binds up under load. Is this typical and is there a fix?
6. I think my 18 is an 81, and it has the old castings. It looks to me like these are not configured to kick-up. Is this true?