Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging Questions & Tips
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now that I have logged some significant time on my freshly re-built H18, I have some rigging questions for those of you that know this boat inside and out.
1. Does anyone know how to use sister clips? Does the short line with small clip get used as the tension line?
2. The jib block gets caught at the top of the Jib and is tricky to get to slide inside the luff. Any suggestions on how to keep this from hanging up?
3. Has anyone sailed the 18 with no main, just the Jib? How does it perform? Can the boat tack and beat? My launching area is such that I would like to be able to sail under jib only to a clear area on the water to bend the main.
4. Obviously, depending on crew weight, wind, waves, etc. optimum mast rake will vary. I am looking for a starting point. How many holes do most of you have exposed above the roller furler? Which hole do you use for the front shroud? After tensioning the side shrouds, what hole do you end up in?
5. The traveler on my 18 is well lubricated, but binds up under load. Is this typical and is there a fix?
6. I think my 18 is an 81, and it has the old castings. It looks to me like these are not configured to kick-up. Is this true?

Post subject: Questions...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:04 am 
Site Admin

1- Yes the short piece is used as a tensioner.

2- We quit using the blocks and went to a thimble only because of this. The block is not necessary at all. You can sort of see saw the halyard and bump the block a few times against the opening till it pops in. I would probably cut the block off.

3- Does not sail well on jib alone. Very difficult to tack it that way.

4- I end up at about the second from the bottom on the shrouds. The forestay adjuster plate should be just inside the bottom of the furler. The forestay wire attaches to the top of that plate.

5- The traveler is stiff under load. Not designed to travel under load. Will stay put when sheeting rather than pull towards you.

6- The original castings are designed to kick up, but they didn't do well. There may be a small dent in the aluminum where the upper casting pin sits under the cam. That can prohibit release action. You should keep lubricated, file the surface flat so the pin can roll freely. Best to lift the tiller arms when coming in... a broken casting is not replaceble. You would need an update kit with new uppers and lowers.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: More on the traveler
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your assistance. When bearing off, how do you recommend adjusting traveler farther out while the sail is loaded? I have to smack it with my foot or luff up, and I am sure there must be a better way?

Post subject: Bear away and travel?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Bear away and travel?

You have to sheet out, then travel.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)