Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1991 Hobie 18 magnum ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking at a 1991 Hobie 18 with wings tomorrow. I know nothing about these boats, but it has been a dream of mine to own one. Though, I'm nervous, I just need to buy one. The best way to learn is to make a mistake right? We'll I hope to minimize as many as possible, so any impute is highly appreciated. Can you tell me anything about this boat, I need to look at. asking $2,250 THANKS!!

darn it...not sure how to upload this picture. I'll try to figure it out and re-post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It all depends on what's included and what it's condition is.

First thing I would do would be to verify that it is in fact a 1991 boat because sometimes people have a tendency of misrepresenting the age of the boat (either intentionally or unintentionally). You can do this by looking at the HIN ingraved at the back of each hull. If the owner has the paperwork for the boat, that's even better. Another thing you can do is approximate the boat's age through the hull graphics and the sail color pattern. Also keep in mind that it's possible that the boat could be an SX18 which has a longer mast, longer wings, and bigger rig.

Assuming it is a 1991, that's a good year for these boats generally speaking (1984 to 1988 or so had some hull issues). Give the hulls a real good inspection and press/tap on them over their whole length to check for soft spots. Also inspect under the hull lip at the front crossbar, rear crossbar, and shroud anchor points for signs of cracking. Inspect all aluminum components for signs of excessive corrosion. Inspect the condition of the sails. Inspect the comptip (fiberglass mast tip) for damage or cracking. Make sure that the boat is complete including rudder system (with tiller extension), dagerboards, mainsheet system and jib sheet system. Inspect the trailer too.

If the boat is complete and in good conition, then I'd say $2250 is probably a very reasonable price. If you can get some pics posted, that would be helpful too (you have to post them on another site like Photobucket and then link to them).

sm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a mil!! I'll be sure to check everything you mentioned. Is it unrealastic to think I will be able to sail this boat(solo)only after a few times out?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It was taking a long time to see my post, so thought I might send it again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
We use a post moderation / approval system in an effort to avoid spam posts in our forums.

Your first (2) posts will be reviewed by us and approved for posting. (These are typically processed Monday - Friday 8AM-5PM PST).

It was lunch time...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That boat is almost certainly not a 1991 model year. Based on the hull stripes and the rudder system, it's older. Probably an early '80s boat. Looks like the tramp was replaced, so that may be in good shape.

As far as soloing it, that depends on whether you have prior sailing experience and the conditions you're going out in. The 18 is really intended as a two person boat but it can be sailed solo with proper skill. It's also a heavy boat for one person to move around on the beach alone.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ask the seller why he thinks its a 1991 model, check the HIN. Its probably a pre-85 model. If you think the seller is making an honest mistake, its probably OK. I would check every inch of it for soft spots. $2250 is still not a bad price but its about average, especially for this time of year.

You can sail the 18 solo, but dealing with it out of the water is the biggest issue.

IMPORTANT, that trailer appears to not have cradles. Check the bottom of the hulls at those rollers especially on the front. Look for cracking, deformation in that area.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
That boat is almost certainly not a 1991 model year. Based on the hull stripes and the rudder system, it's older. Probably an early '80s boat. Looks like the tramp was replaced, so that may be in good shape.

Previous Matt Bounds has stated that the black plastic rudders are from the late 80's/early 90's, which would be the right timeframe. Were they made for more years than that?
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38901

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm guessing the HIN is Hobie's version of a VIN. Once I find the HIN, how will that tell me the year?

Also, the owner stated he has a title, but did not know if it was a SX. After reading this forum(which by the way is the best tool ever), I can tell by the picture it's not a SX. This tells me he must not know to much about sailing or his boat.

Additionally, I seem to concur with SNovak. His link posted above indicates those rudders being about the correct time frame??? Am I missing something?
I can tell you guys enough, thanks for the insight. I know no one who has one of these and feel very vulnerable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

resourceriderStL wrote:
I'm guessing the HIN is Hobie's version of a VIN. Once I find the HIN, how will that tell me the year?

Correct, HIN is "Hull Identification Number". all boats made since the early 70's have one. It'll be the definitive answer on whether the boat is a 1991 or not. Guide to finding it and decoding is here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1155

For example, my boat ends in C090, so it's a 1990 model year (same as car model years) made in march 1990.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Original EPO rudders were made from around 1984 to 1990, I believe. Of course the owner could have swapped them out at some point, so the rudder blades themselves really don't indicate the boat's age. (For example, I've got a set of original EPOs on my 2007 H17).

The giveaway that this boat is almost certainly NOT a 1991 model is that the rudder CASTINGS are the old style. The old style rudder castings were discontinued around 1986/1987, so the boat would have been built no later than 1987. Also the hull stripes are not 1991 vintage, they would have been from the early 1980s. The boat is also not an SX18 based on the style of wings. An SX18 would have the longer style wings.

There are some other indicators you can look for too. If the mast doesn't have a comptip, then you know the boat is from about 1986 or earlier. Also, if it doesn't have the upgraded front crossbar anchors, then it's a pre-1986/87 boat.

A 1991 Hobie 18 would have had stock a comptip, front crossbar anchor kit, new style rudder system and four rivet mast step to name a few things.

You can confirm all of this by looking at the HIN and deciphering it from the information given in the FAQ section of this forum. If the owner has the original paperwork for the boat, that will give you a lot of answers too.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, if I'm not mistaken, a '91 would have a large "Hobie Cat" logo that stretches from about the forward the the aft crossbar.

Especially check the sails for delam.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That it's not a '91 boat has been firmly established, but as a point of reference my '82 had those same hull graphics before I stripped them off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
The giveaway that this boat is almost certainly NOT a 1991 model is that the rudder CASTINGS are the old style. The old style rudder castings were discontinued around 1986/1987, so the boat would have been built no later than 1987. Also the hull stripes are not 1991 vintage, they would have been from the early 1980s. The boat is also not an SX18 based on the style of wings. An SX18 would have the longer style wings.

Got it, thanks. I had a mental block and forgot that the castings had changed in there (not something I had to deal with mine). You're right, those are the old styles.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Man, this is so frustrating :? . Right when I think I have a decent Hobie close to me, I get let down again. I’m scheduled to meet this gentleman on Saturday. If I end up buying it, I’ll post more pictures right away.

He is supposed to be texting me the HIN off the title. He has stated, on multiple occasions, the title reads 1991. It sounds like I need to make sure the title has the same HIN as the boat. The owner before him might have given him a title to a different boat, without current owner even knowing.

I guess a ’82 doesn’t scare me. It just means I’m up against a different set of challenges. All these pictures of broken halls, conversations about bad design’s, and even soft spots sound a bit intimidating for a newbie on the Mississippi river :| .