Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bacho wrote:
Out of curiosity, please investigate the dagger board trunks and report back.

Based on the fact that I don't see any upgraded anchors at either the shrouds or the front crossbar, I'm going to say it's pretty definitive that, at the very least, the hulls are not from 1991. However, the dagger board trunk construction would be another real strong indicator of the age of the hulls. If there is no seam inside the bottom of the trunk then they are 1991 hulls. If there is a seam, then they are not 1991 hulls.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Hobie world. My Project started last night. I took many pictures and I will continue too. The picture of the dagger well clarifies the questions I had on the hulls age. I feel relieved for some reason.

The Hull decals are a little bit harder to remove than I anticipated, but I think it's progressing very well. Acetone works well on the adhesive, but my thumbs are rubbed raw. Any suggestions on making this easier? I finally got impatient and used a brillo pad and saw improvement, but it was removing the gel coat. (the brillo pad was turning white).

Is this trailer cradle sufficient? Do I need to fabricate cradles for the rear the trailer?
On the bottom of the hulls, there is some spots that the gel coat has completely rubbed off and its down to fiberglass. Very solid though. Should I be concerned?
Extra Pictures:

Until..next week :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great! As previously mentioned, my pinstriping came off easily using a razor blade. You need to be careful and take your time but the razor does a very good job removing both the sticker and the left over residue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

3m makes a pinstripe remover wheel for the drill. It takes the stripe and glue off and polishes the paint beneath. You can use an electric or air powered drill. Comes in several sizes, works great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those cradles look fine. In my opinion the rear roller is fine. There is not nearly the same weight in the roller in the back.

Wearing to the glass on the bottom,is the fibers exposed? If not new gelcoat will fix it up.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That stripe pattern is "Carumba", would put the platform in the '81 to '83 range
Sails definitely newer...nice score, the Magnum wings are the best 8)
concerning weight, I've seen two different 1982 boats that weighed in at NAC's only 5 & 8 pounds over minimum...Enjoy !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

J_Eaton, Thanks..I ended up paying $1600. I think I got a good deal. It is missing the harnesses and I'm not sure how much longer the wing tramps will last.

I cant believe Hobie wants around $100 / Harness. Seems high.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

resourceriderStL wrote:
I cant believe Hobie wants around $100 / Harness. Seems high.

Have you looked at Zhik ($269), Ronstan ($155-$200), Gill ($170-$250), or Magic Marine ($189)?

Hobie trap harnesses are inexpensive by comparison, and the quality is comparable. All sailing gear is expensive.

Last edited by MBounds on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check eBay - you can sometimes find some decent lower-cost stuff there (with the usual caveats).

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would use "Goof Off" and razor blades for the decal removal. A brillow pad will remove too much gel coat and should not be used. After doing everything that you need to do to that thing, the decal removal is very low on the prioirity list, especially for those that have removed them before and the discoloration difference that will exist. I would would start thinking ideas for decal replacement. On the harnesses, a good one that fits nice, you will buy once. A cheap one that doesn't fit well, you'll buy twice. I was always jealous of the guys on 18's that would be trapped off standing on the wings. They stayed dry while everyone without wings got blasted by swells. Have fun! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

I would just really, really, really .... recommend that you make sure to purchase a "crotchless" harness ....

... as for those cradles ... they'll be fine ... but from the pic's I would suggest that the boat be situated on the trailer so that the the trailer's front crossbeam w/ cradles is supporting the boat about 14"-18's" in front of the boat's front crossbar .... you don't want the whole bow to be cantilevered in front of the trailer support when trailering, especially for loooong distances.

Measure the width of your towing vehicle ... add 2ft ... divide by 1/2 .... now measure that distance from the front of the trailer tongue and mark ... never have the boat on the trailer any further forward or else when you make tight turns you WILL dent your vehicle's rear quarter panel ... (don't ask me how I know this ...)

That Magnum Wing Support is "KEY" ... and no longer availible ... (you can make something out of PVC pipe that works ...), so don't lose it. You should tie a line between the both wings when trailering ... so they don't accidently unfold while trailering down the highway ....

Read all the old posts here on the H18 Forum .... there is alot of information in them that will answer 99.9% of your questions ....

and .... WELCOME TO THE H18 CLASS

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I second using the 3M™ Stripe Off Wheel to remvoe vinyl decals. Start with the slowest RPMs that will do the job. Otherwise you might get 'burn' marks. I removed about 30 feet of 3/4" stripe in about half an hour.

More info here:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 5GMFSMV0gl

Cheers,

Zubie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

J_Eaton wrote:
That stripe pattern is "Carumba", would put the platform in the '81 to '83 range

This "Carumba" and my thumbs are not friends at the moment.

I found out that my next project is using Git-Rot. You know why. DAMN you soft spot! Why did you hide from me when I was knocking on you :(

O'well its 80 in St. Louis today and I couldn't be more excited to learn to sail this bad boy.

FOR FUN PICTURE BELOW. Me and my buddy sailing New Years Eve 2011/2012 on the Mississippi River

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How big is the soft spot and where's it located?

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Lemme guess - about 9" around, right in front of the rear crossbar . . .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next