Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well i have been wanting to get a catamaran and give it a go with a friend. Anyways i came across http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/2899577526.html and just happen to be helping a friend near nashville tomorrow move a bike. So going to stop by and look at it. Have texted the owner and he has been really responsive and great so far. I have read many threads and try to be the most informed before making a purchase but with something like this i just feel out of my league so i turn to the community forums. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a clean looking boat. Tramp looks like it was recently replaced. It has the new-style rudder castings. The sail is most likely past it's prime, but probably still good for recreational sailing. As long as it's complete, doesn't have any soft spots, excess corrosion, or structural damage (check for cracks under the hull lip at the crossbars), it would probably be a good boat and the asking price is probably about right.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's something funky going on on the side of the starboard hull - underneath the front crossbar going back to the shroud attachment. Looks like a ripple - maybe some delam or a repair? It shows up in multiple photos taken in different locations, so it's not just a random shadow.

The boat's been painted for sure - there are no hull graphics (stripes / "Hobie Cat" near the stern). The original color that came with that sail pattern was blue hulls/decks with a dark blue triple stripe.

The aluminum is just too clean and dark for a boat that old, so it's probably been painted, too.

There are parts missing from the trapeze systems (the whole adjustment system).

I would check out that starboard hull very carefully.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No doubt there's something up with that starboard hull. I didn't look at all the pics closely enough the first time through. The crease/dent is visible in all the pics. I would inspect that hull very closely and expect to have to do some repair if you buy it. Otherwise, probably better to pass.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm no expert like the the other folks but I also see an indentation at the bottom of the hull below the area the other folks pointed out. That looks like the bottom of the hull is uneven from a repair or two. Could be evidence of damage from a trailer roller or some other incident. I suggest you pull the hatch and get inside that hull and look for repairs with a flashlight.

The black centerboards confim it's had a paint job. They were white to begin with. (But they look very cool in black :) )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is also something going on on the inside of the hulls at the front beam. I bought a 18 that had a similar ripple in front of the beam that turned out to be a crack in the inside layer of glass and was very soft. I would inspect, look for big cracks under the lip. If its solid it may be ok, but with new paint cracks may be hard to see.

8 months ago I called about a Hobie 18 in the area that had been completely painted and looked very good in pics, but it turned out to be a very old boat when I got the HIN. It could be that boat.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well turns out my friend forgot to get money out of the bank fri/sat. So not making the Nashville trip. But i am really glad you guys pointed out the hull. I saw it in one picture but my mind caulked it up to shadow but it is in multiple pictures. If i am in the area i will look at it but otherwise i doubt i will make the trip just to look at it. If i recall its been on the market up there for at least 6-8 months. Friend is asking if we can go next weekend so i may still look, but defiantly cautious on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree with comments above. Being an '84 boat (like mine) you need to be careful with that area of the hull. It is a known weak spot and hulls have snapped off under the front beam.

I am in Memphis with an 18 and if there is anything I can do for you here lemme know. Glad to help in any way, even if you want to go for a sail on an 18 to see how they are.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

@Sailinagin haha might have to take you up on that offer :D