Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: introduction
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi folks. Thought I would introduce myself as I am a new owner of a Hobie 18. My name is Adrio and I live in Ottawa Canada. I just bought the boat a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed sailing it half a dozen tomes since then.
I have sailed cats before but mostly a Prindle 16 that my brother has owned for the past 25 years.
I look forward to typing with you folks as I am sure I will have loads of questions as I get to know my boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

howdy and welcome to the forum. i to am new as of last year to the hobe ie way of life and also own a h18.

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the Hobie 18 way of life. I've been sailing 18s' for 20+ years. Race a little, play a lot. Mostly an ocean sailor, don't like the restriction of lakes. Ask any question you want.

Post subject: New also to H-18
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bought a '97 H-18SX a couple months ago, and learning it's very different from the H-16. Having to read and reread the installation manual, ask Jim Sohn of Sailing Centers in Iowa a gazillion questions, and finding out how much I truly do not know, other than this 18 is a locomotive with 4 people on Lake Michigan with 20-25 mph winds.

Belated thanks to all on this thread and the other Hobie threads, because of the useful info provided by folks who love sailing Hobies. I hope I can contribute as time and knowledge dictate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been falling off Hobie's since 1990, and loving every minute of it, whether it is at home in Ottawa, or off the beach in Pompano or Delray or Mazatlan or Antigua. Met many wonderful sailors out there, in person and electronically. Welcome to the Hobie way of life.

Adrio, where do you sail out of? NSC? LDSC? Come and visit with us at Kanata Sailing Club, the best kept secret on the Ottawa River. We can talk about Wave's Getaways, H14, H15, H16 and H18, which I have sailed, and H17 and H20 which I have yet to sail. When I grow up, maybe I'll get a Tiger. Email me for directions, we have two reefs that can be tough on daggerboards and rudders. Don't ask how we know. lunnjohn at magma dot ca