Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mast stepping
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have any of you used the mast stepping jigs that are listed in the Hobie catalog? I was wondering about the third one that uses a winch located at least 30" above the mast step and goes direct to the forestay. In the description they say that the mast is held laterally by attaching the trap lines to the front cross member. How do they make this attachment? Does anyone have pictures of this set up. Or know of a web site that describes it. I would like to be able to raise and lower the mast with a little less strain on the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i actually have a 12 volt atv winch installed on my trailer mast support and have made a brace for travel in which my mast sits. sitting on the rear crossbar, i have it down to a science in getting the mast slipped back and the step pin in. then i grab the 15 foot long remote for the winch and jump on the tramp and guide the mast up, i use the forstay to hook the winch to. it works well for me.

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may try attaching a pair of trap wires to whatever hoisting apparatus you use. This leaves the forestay free for connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I solo step my H18 mast I use the trap wires to sabalize it side to side until the shrouds can take over. I have a loop of line tied at the outside edges of my tramp on the front cross bar. The line goes outside of brace as well. This way the line can't slip inboard. Then I take a separate line from the eye in the end of the trap wires and tie it to the loops mentioned previously. I connect the forestay to the boat winch and up it goes.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie Nick wrote:
I connect the forestay to the boat winch and up it goes.

I understand what you wrote, but I can't fugure out how , when the foresatay is on the winch, you can then attach it to the bridle. Do you need an other person to hold the mast while you remove it from the winch? What am I missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adrio,

If your boat has double trapeze wires, and they are terminated at the top with separate thimbles, use the forward two for raising and the aft pair for stabilizing.

I agree with you, if you're using the forestay to raise the mast, after it's standing you'll need to tie it off with the trap wires in order to free the forestay, which would add another step to the process.

You can achieve the 30" height by routing your hoisting line through a block attached near the top of your trailers' mast stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

good answer John that should work well for him. I am also looking at the ATV winch have found some for $89.00 lets see Hurt back miss work $$$$ Need alarger person to help with current winch system HMMMM. ATV battery powered winch = more sailing Going with the battery winch VS the womanly wench. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i use a screw type closeable chain link thru the top most hole in the forestay bar adjuster. this gives me the room to pin the thing. i admit i could use a third hand but i manage. i then grab one of my ratchete tiedown and remove the chain link from the adjuster and reattach it at the underside of the adjuster and go from the trailer to this with the strap and pull it tight and repinn it tight. i do this before i remove the rear tiedown from the boat. gets it nice and tight. hope this helps you out. it was a trial and error thing but i think i have it figgerd out although i do get funny looks from the other catters when i do this. they have a "deer in the headlights" look of confusion but then they smile when its all done.

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips. I have movified the front mast stand of my trailer to make it telescopic and then put a block at the top. It gives me about 55 inches above the mast set when extended. Next time I have to lower the mast I will let you know how it works out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The last post is "I'll let you know if it works..." and then.. what? Did it work? I sure wish someone would post some video.

Second, getting it up seems possible, but getting it down sounds Scary! As the angle between the winch or block and the mast gets narrow the forces get really big! I've dropped one mast this way when I was using a forestay line with too much stretch.

NY can you describe your custom mast step aft? Getting the aft mast 10' up would help this angle problem quite a lot.

Personally, I'm thinking just running the line back to the jib block is as good as having the winch if you're doing most of the lifting anyway. Buying the electric winch probably not the option I'd go with. Do you use a steel cable on the winch or nylon belt?

Finally, the Hobie rep recommended a block about the size of my thumb and line about 1/4 inch for raising (2,000 lb breaking strength he says..). I had a much bigger block in the box at home, but much to my amazement it says working strength 50 lbs. As noted above I think the forces on this block are going to be pretty steep when the angle gets small.. Can you advise?

Bioman

Post subject: Re: mast stepping
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As Hobie Nick and John Eaton stated, I use the two forward trapeze wires to hoist the mast and the two aft wires to stabilize. I have wings on my boat which made it easy to come up with a system using bungee cords attached to the wings to stabilize the mast side to side as I crank it up from the forward winch. I still require two people to raise my mast since my winch is not high enough above the mast step to get the initial lift going. Instead, I lift up on the end of the mast with a home built pole with a "V" notched piece of plywood mounted to the end to support the mast. This gets it high enough to where the winch can take over. I never liked the idea of having a person on the tramp while stepping the mast. Not only the back strain but the concentrated weight of the person and the mast on just a small area of the tramp doesn't appeal to me.

One other thing I do for additional safety is to use one of the tie-down straps as a safety strap from the forward trailer mast support (where the winch is mounted) back to the vehicle trailer hitch when winching up the mast. There is a lot of leverage excerted on the base of the support while lifted the mast and unless you have a good strong brace between the support and the trailer tongue, you're at risk of somethng giving way.

Tom
H18M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Tom, that's clearer.
You make a very good point about strain on the winch mount. I completely agree and you came up with a good solution too. Thanks!

How long is your "V" shaped mast prop and do you mount it to the trailer or the ground or...? I'm still planning on doing this single handed if I can...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bioman,

My mast prop is only approximately 6' long since I only use it as an extension to my arms to get the mast up high enough for the winch to take over. You could easily build one with a yoke on one end to sit atop your rear crossbeam and a "V" notch on the other end to support the mast. You may need a step stool as well to be able to lift the mast up high enough to get the prop under the mast.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips everyone. I just successfully did this a few times over the weekend. I used a step ladder and walked the end of the mast up it, which is fairly easy, to get the starting height. Then using 2 traps for stabilizing and 2 for raising, my wife winched it up with the trailer winch. Things take longer now than just manhandling it up, but I can now raise the mast with just me and my wife. That opens up alot more sailing opportunities!

Nick