Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 16 vs 18
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jmecky wrote:
Why do you not know if you will add them?
Don't say weight, cause my gut weighs more than my wings.

Weight.

:mrgreen:
Cost is a big issue (I'd rather have new sails), as is weight capaciity on the wings, 450 lbs. I'm 280 crew is 210. If a set of SX wings came up for a decent price, I'd probably jump on them and then look like a liar, if I could get the mast as solid solid stick, I might be interested in a full up SX rig on mine. I have a redline boat, I put all of the reinforcements in for the beam junctions, finishing up a bottom job (fiberglass tape and epoxy graphite), and gonna paint. Once all that is done, sails, and then maybe wings.

Bah650, sorry for the hijack, I've salied 14s, 16s, and 18. My dad had a 16, when I came along (May '76) he traded the 16 for a 14 (March '76). I learned to sail the 14, we got a 16, it was stolen and an 18 came available. Since sailing the 18, I've gone back and sailed the other cats, and found them too weight sensitive. I'd vote 18. Is it the absolute best cat out there? Maybe not. Is it the best I've ever owned/sailed? You bet.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK so it sounds like wings are nice to have but not a must.I dont think I will have a problem buying a set if they came up for sale somewhere at somepoint.

I have sent out a few emails on a few boats here local in Ft Worth, so we will see what happens. I would like to get out on water this summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I have been busy reading and search for a boat. I think what im going to have to do is buy a 16 and 18! I have two other friends that are looking for boats as well and they are going to go with 16s. Might just see what kind of deal comes up 1st!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I say get both. Love sailing my 16 solo off the beach. But with the wife the 18 and wings rules. But with either boat, just to be sailing is what it's all about.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well found this one today. Hulls need a litle work. Sails are good.. 1200 bucks. Worth it?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're in a tough spot trying to find a good 18. It's rare to find one less than 20 years old in good condition but there seem to be plenty of 20+ years 18s that need some work. My rule is not to buy work, unless I know what I'm doing.

Fiberglass hulls may be repaired and shined up if they are not too far gone with damage. The spars usually are durable things, but check them for dents, loose rivets, cracks, and corrosion. Unless the owner knows how old the standing rigging is and how it was stored you can expect to replace it

The soft stuff, like sails, lines, and tramps are easily replaced.

It's a balancing act between how much time and money you want to spend fixing it, how much time you expect to sail it, how bad you want it, and the availability of what you want. I almost consider my appreciation of the 18 a curse. We can't do much to tell you on this forum if the boat is a good one since nothing beats being on site to examine it, but we can give advice of what to look for. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All depends where you live.

Magnum wings are worth $400 - $600 dollars. If all of the parts are there, and the hulls are solid, buy it. Clean it up, make sure everything works and looks good and you could make a few bucks. Trailers are worth $250 & up.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net