Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 vs 18
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey everyone Im new to forums and looking for some input. After being away from sailing im looking to get back in to it. Im torn between a 16 and 18. I weigh about 230 and wife is around 115. So im looking for advise from you guys. Im loving the site tons of info and lots of great stories!!!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 16 vs 18
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At your weight, either boat would work. You're a little on the heavy side for a 16, but it's certainly doable. Your weight would be fine for an 18.

This topic gets discussed a lot, so try to do some searching on the forum for prior discussions. They're both great boats, so it's hard to go wrong with either one.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just get one of each... That is what I did. :mrgreen:

My wife and I weigh about the same as you do.

I have the 16 for racing..

The class is much stronger and it is very easy to find someone to casually race against.

It is a bit simpler to trailer sail..

Something about the wilder ride is very fun.. the weight sensitivity, ability to pitchpole with relative ease... All this makes the 16 exciting and fun to handle.

It is easy to rig and easy to sail.. easier to manage on the beach....

I don't see any real negatives to owning the 16. :D

But...

With the 18..

It is smooth on the water.. The little bit of extra weight combined with the length make the boat ride like a Cadillac compared to a 16.

The boards let the boat point MUCH higher into the wind and are not really all that much of a hassle.. and look great in photos when flying a hull...

The 18 is more tune-able.. More strings to play with allowing finer control of the boat. For a new sailor this could be a bit overwhelming (if you allow it to be) but once you learn the ropes this allows you to be able to depower or power up the boat to a much greater extent than the 16 making the boat easier to handle in almost any condition..

The roller furling jib... Adds complication to trailering.. (not much just a little) but if you are keeping an 18 on the beach... Seriously.. hoist the main and you are on the water in 5 minutes... Hit the beach for lunch... Furl the jib... wind picks up and things are way out of control.. furl it..

At 225lbs.. I bring something to help me 'right' the 18 should I dump it... But if I am just out playing solo... The 18 is an easier boat to handle. It is easier to kick out on the trapeze.. and isn't as weight sensitive... Meaning unlike the 16 I can just kick out on the wire and not worry about flipping the boat or dumping myself in the lake on the wrong side.... Now.. all that is much of what makes a 16 fun.. but without all the action it means you can settle down and really sail an 18 HARD... Stick the bows down close to the water and let it rip without the same level of concern the boat might decide you need to go swimming.. (talking about 15+mph of wind)

If you think you might have three adults going sailing regular.. the 16 will do it.. The 18 will do it better.. The 16 will 'handle' plenty of weight but it slows down quicker with more weight.. and for whatever reason.. There just seems to be more room on an 18 for extra people...

But.... this also means if you have a 16... people just have to take turns.. This isn't always a bad thing. :mrgreen:

You can't go wrong with either boat... I sail my 16 more simply because I enjoyed the regattas, and the 16 fleet is much larger and sailing with/against a matched boat is very fun... The 18 is just a really cool durable old boat... I love it...

Get one of each. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of each would be awesome, but if you can only pick one then pick the 18.
The extra space and hull volume make it sail smooth and dry. You also have the options of wings with the 18, which really gives a lot of space and comfort.

The 18 also has deck ports, where you can store food, sodas, paddles, first aid kit, radios and anything else. The ports keep your stuff dry. The 16 does not have this storage option.

Its easier to get under the boom on an 18, compared to 16 too.

I paid 800$ for my 18, so they can be found cheap.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow thanks for the input. I think im going towards the 18 now. I used to go out with a friend on his 16 but that was many years ago. For me I start thinking about speed and racing. I race crosscountry motorcycles now so I guess its in my blood to want to go fast! But where I sit now with the wife and other friends that would love to go I think the 18 would be a better fit. If I showed up with two boats the wife would ask what bike I was going to sell, and thats not going to happen! Here are a few I found on craigs..

http://abilene.craigslist.org/boa/2974806731.html

I think this one for the year looks ok..

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2960623411.html

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That 18 looks like a decent deal if he will come down a few hundred and its in good shape. I think the 18 is much better looking boat, its just got nicer lines.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The first ad says it's an 18 but it's a 16.It has the raised frame on the tramp and the banana shaped hulls.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bah650 wrote:
Wow thanks for the input. I think im going towards the 18 now. I used to go out with a friend on his 16 but that was many years ago. For me I start thinking about speed and racing. I race crosscountry motorcycles now so I guess its in my blood to want to go fast! But where I sit now with the wife and other friends that would love to go I think the 18 would be a better fit. If I showed up with two boats the wife would ask what bike I was going to sell, and thats not going to happen! Here are a few I found on craigs..

http://abilene.craigslist.org/boa/2974806731.html

I think this one for the year looks ok..

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2960623411.html

Are you in Houston? If so, head down to the Texas City Dike on the first Saturday of the month Texas City Dike Yacht Club http://www.tcdyc.com/ has an informal get together and sailing day.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree the 18 is more stable and more fun, but it's not a drier boat than the 16. When I traded up from a 16 to 18, the first sail proved that point very quickly.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OlderBowman wrote:
I agree the 18 is more stable and more fun, but it's not a drier boat than the 16. When I traded up from a 16 to 18, the first sail proved that point very quickly.

Agree, that has certainly not been my "wing-less" experience. If the wind and seas are up at all, be prepared for a wet and wild ride on a standard H18. It's part of what makes it super fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What everyone above said, plus, if you aren't racing then get the 18.

The 16 hobby-horses more than I like, is more prone to pitchpoles, and the rail is uncomfortable to sit on. It is a hull flying monster, though. Being so light with a huge amount of sail area makes it get up on one hull pretty easily, and that's a lot of fun. Rigging a 16 is easier, but not that much more. The light weight of a 16 makes moving it around the beach much easier.

The 18 racing class is small compared to the 16, but the boat is much more comfortable and forgiving than the 16, and the jib furler is a nice addition. It will carry more weight than a 16.

Speed-wise, both boats are pretty evenly matched.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok you guys are really giving me some good advice. Question.. How is the 18 without wings? I did some looking around and looks like they are hard to find. When I sailed with my friend that had an 18 it was so long ago I dont remember how it was without the wings.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't have wings on mine, rode on a 18 magnum, last year. It was drier. Don't know if I'd add them or not.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wonder why they made an 18 without wings. You stay very comfortable, drier and can trap off the wings. Trapping of the wings is a wild ride in a blow.

Why do you not know if you will add them?
Don't say weight, cause my gut weighs more than my wings.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jmecky wrote:
I wonder why they made an 18 without wings.

The wings were an after-thought by Hobie. Basically a by-product of the Hobie 17 development.

While I can maybe see the advantage of the wings in some cases, there are other cases where I would never want them - particularly racing and surf sailing. Different stokes for different folks.

sm