Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking of using the keel template from the support page as a front cradle mold for either heating & bending PVC to or fabing from fiberglass. Has anyone tried this? Opinions on PVC vs. fiberglass? My initial thoughts are that PVC would be easier, but if I go fiberglass it gives me an opportunity to develop skills working with it. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

I have used both techniques/materials to make H18 "Cradles" ... it is easier to make molded cradles of PVC, but this depends on two MAJOR things. First you need to have a sourse of 10"-12" PVC pipe. I used to find scraps/trimming at waterpipe construction sites along-side the highways (Green or Blue). I would cut the pipe into 12" long sections and then split the pipe into three pieces. Now, (the most important thing ...) to mold the PVC into the required shape you need to heat it upto 200-225*F in a "OVEN" ....

{Most "Significate" others frown upon baking PVC in their oven that they bake biscuts, rolls, cakes, roasts ie; food in .... Mr Stephen Cooley and I comiserated about using ovens or dishwashers for our "projects" and the "verb" that most correctly discribes the reaction of "significate others" ... CONIPTION best discribes it !!!!}

so .... for the sake of "peace in the family unit" .....

... you may wish to make the cradles out of fiberglass/epoxy. It will take a little longer .... (3) layers of cloth ... nomax ... (3) more layers of cloth ... sand edges to shape .... carpet (Important: use NYLON !!! no water retention !!!)

Both methods will produce a very nice cradle .... but if no-one is at home ... and you have the afternoon ... PVC is so much easier and quicker. Do NOT go above 250*F as you will "char/melt/burn" the PVC. Use a "disposable" pan ... and remove/hide all the evidence ....

(Please research my "old" posts .... as I have posted the complete procedure several years ago on this forum ....)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! I was able to find you're old post. That was helpful too.

-Rowdy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its pretty simple to lay some wax paper on your hull and make your own out of fiberglass. I just did some for my 18. I will post a pic later. I could not imagine trying to heat up a piece of pipe in my kitchen. If I got caught I am pretty sure I would be living in a tent out back.