Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I am 90% of the way to getting my spinnaker set up. I thought I was all the way there this weekend but failed.

I'm trying to set up my spinnaker with one halyard/retrieval line that also brings the tack in and out. My buddy has his set up on his H21 and it's easy as pie to use. He even single hands his H21 and flys his chute.

The difference between what I'm trying to do and my buddies is that I wanted to mount my cleat on the mast, and he cleats his on the front crossbar. I got this idea from the forums where all the F18 sailors are doing this and I wanted to be as cool as them.

The halyard/snuffer routing was from the head of the sail, up to the halyard block on the top of the mast, down through the cleat on the mast, down to a turning block on the crossbar, out to the double blocks on the tack line, back to the end of the tramp through a turning block that went through my snuffer sock and up to the snuffer patches on the chute.

I can't exactly remember the tack line routing, but I think it was tied off at the end of the pole, through the set of double blocks and then to the tack of the chute.

I guess my question is, for those of you with your cleat on the mast, how exactly are you routing your lines? Are you running a separate tack line from the halyard? I'd really like to use the cleat on the mast, and run a single halyard/snuffer without a separate tack line.

Thanks so much,

Adam

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most are running a separate tack line. Primarily this is to allow you to change the sail shape to run higher or deeper, not possible with the continuos halyard.

Your description of halyard path sounds wrong but I can't remember exactly how it should be. The halyard should leave the cleat(whether on the mast or x-bar) and go to the rear x-bar if I remember correctly. When the sail is raised the tack should come forward before the head starts up. It may not be possible to make this setup work smoothly with the cleat on the mast. You have to be able to cleat off after the tack and head are tight. In your description it would appear the sail is holding the tack tight, that won't work. Your cleat is only holding the head up. You should be tensioning between the tack and the head to hold both tight and then cleat off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a cleat on the mast, I also have a separate tack-line which I recommend. It takes a little more practice but its reliable and gives you a little more options.

But to answer your question, The halyard needs to come down the mast to a block on the BEAM then to the double block for the tack line and then to your cleat weather its on the mast or beam.

I do not think you will have much luck without the separate tack line. Your angles will be a little weird and I think you will loose any advantage of the cleat at the mast. Your spin will also be constantly pulling on one side of the mast, I think it would really screw with mast rotation.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good call Bacho, hadn't thought about the pull from the tack against the mast. The cleat has to be on the x-bar if there is no separate tack line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

One last thing, in racing we pull up the spin on the starboard tack everytime. For non-racing pulling the spin up from the port tack is a little less ergonomic when the cleat is on mast. For a boat that sees no racing, I would leave it on the beam.

2010 AHPC C2 #218