Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My son and I just did the strengthening of the front crossbar on a 85 Hobie Magnum. We have been reading the forum and following all of the recommendations for the reinforcement, added the patches on the inside of the hull and the brackets on the outside of the hull.

However on a lot of the threads we read there was reference to a vent hole under the front crossbar. We have looked for the hole and could find nothing on either side. Where are these venting holes located?

Thanks for everybody’s help; this forum has been great for us to find out information.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you have a vent hole, it would be in the "saddle" that the front cross bar sits in. You can only see it if you take your front cross bar off the boat. I have three H-18s from various years and none of them have the fabled vent hole. However, my H-17 does have vent holes in that exact spot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I read on the forum that sometimes there was a tiny hole drilled in each inspection port cover or for the pop in covers, the holes for the rope handles allowed the hulls to vent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have 3 H18's as well. '82 & '85 boats don't have the hole, the '89 does. If i'm not mistaken it's under the front crossbar in the "saddle."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My '90 has them (under the front crossbar, like others have said), so it sounds like maybe they were a later addition to the design.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 89 has them. I plugged them for about a week. When you hear a woosh removing a drain plug you know you have a leak free boat, and a problem. Expansion and contraction from pressure in the hulls isn't a good thing. I have PVC vents in a set of 5" ports that are screwed in when not sailing, year round. See the winterizing tips in the Hobie FAQ for a picture of the PVC vents.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The first few years of production had them, with the assumption that the holes for the rope handles in the deck ports would be sufficient breathing space.

When people started replacing the port covers with solid ones, that's when the trouble started. So they added the vent under the front crossbar in the late 80's.