Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outhaul bungee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently got a Hobie 18 and have it fixed up and ready to sail for the most part, but can't figure out how the outhaul bungee attaches inside the boom. The old bungee isn't even present, but I do have a replacement one. Is there a diagram for how it is attached? I searched some older threads but did not find any useful pictures.

Also, are there any useful diagrams to show how the mast rotator is rigged? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Outhaul bungee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Outhaul bungee- you must remove the outboard boom endcap, outhaul car, and outhaul cleat. The bungee ties off to the outhaul cleat bracket, passes thru the hole in the outhaul car, and then back to the cleat bracket where the other end also ties off. It should be very obvious when you disassemble everything how it works. Be careful not to lose the rollers when you remove the outhaul car.

For the rotator, the line ties off at the cleat, passes thru the opening in the rotator bar, and then back to the cleat.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the help. I guess the new bungee I have right now is a tad long. I'll have to cut it to 7 feet as per the Hobie parts list. The Delrin rollers in there have seen better days, so I probably will want to replace them while I have the end cap off. I've not drilled or used rivets before. I take it I will want to use aluminum rivets again so as not to cause cathodic corrosion. Any other tricks to riveting?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stainless rivets or a stainless screw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie actually uses stainless steel rivets for all fittings. However, for this application, replacing with aluminum rivets is acceptable if not preferred, IMO. There is very little load on these rivets since all they do is prevent the end cap from falling out. And you're right, the use of an aluminum rivet will eliminate galvanic corrosion. Also, aluminum rivets are cheaper, easier to pop, and available at your local hardware store. Plus, they will be easier to remove if you have to service the outhaul in the future. I would NOT use an aluminum rivet for any high-load applications, but for the aft boom end cap, aluminum is a fine choice.

If you've never drilled out a rivet before, it can be a challenge. What you want to do is drill off only the head. To do this, I usually use somewhere between a 1/4" to 3/8" drill bit. Also use cutting oil or some form of lubrication when trying to drill through stainless. Once you get the head removed, use a punch to drive the remaining portion of the rivet into the boom and release the end cap.

One more thing, the length of the bungee cord depends on where you locate the outhaul cleat since that is the tie-off point. I would figure out where you want the cleat, then figure out how long the bungee needs to be.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks so much for the help. I'll try my hand at removing the rivets from the aft boom cap and replacing them with new aluminum ones.

Is there a preferred place to position the outhaul cleat? It's currently positioned 57.5 inches from the aft end of the boom. Why is the outhaul so long, anyways, and what exactly is the purpose of the bungee? I'm still pretty new to sailing. Most of my knowledge comes from my dad who's been teaching me to sail off and on for the past couple of years and now when I'm home from college, but I've been trying to learn a lot online. So please correct me if I make any big sailing faux pas, or use some terminology incorrectly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has any body replaced either the outhaul or rotator cleats? I'm looking at a rebuild and thinking about spinlocks. Yes they are overkill, but the existing cleat just don't hold well and cams don't fit the boom profile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Replace the plastic cleats with aluminum clam cleats. Way cheaper than Spinlocks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I tried Spinlocks on both the outhaul and rotator. Spinlock wouldn't hold the rotator because of all the banging around / shock loading that it experiences, it kept slipping. Switched back to aluminum cam cleat. Works great, lasts a long time. Still have a Spinlock on the outhaul. Works fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm about to replace my outhaul bungee as well (dry rotted and snapped when I gave it a tug). However, I have no way to re-rivet the boom, so I'm going to try and see what I can do to thread/tie off the bungee with the boom assembled. Threading through the cleat anchor plates and tying a stopper knot shouldn't be a problem, tying to the outhaul car I expect will be a challenge...

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238