Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got an 18 from some ham and egger, six weeks ago and i've spent the whole time restoring it.

I would love love love, much like everyone else, some wing seats, and I'm willing to go a days travel and pay cash.

I'm also looking for a new jib.

Or new alternatives. Has anyone tried adding a new mast tang higher and shortening the forestay bridle to gain the length to add a h20 jib? Its only about 3' 10" bigger give or take. My mast is standing right now so i havent been able to take measurements, i'm not tall enough. Now please dont chew me out if this is a ludacris idea, i'm a dreamer donny plus I'm green to the hobie platform and for all i know the 20 would back wind the main and I'd be a dwift.

I'm very intrested on the thoughts of a gennaker or maybe a 110-115% genoa from an added fore most code zero furler set up. I've read europes post about it at length about his gennaker setup.

Who knows a good hobie sailmaker in new england?

Oh and do the bow deflectors in the new catalogue that say 14/16 fit an 18 also.

I'm not intrested in class racing, more distance sailing think mattapoisett to the elizabeth island and the vineyard, and boston harbor islands. Hence the lust for wing seats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You asked for opinions, so here it is. Keep thinking out of the box you might come up with a great idea.

Moving the forestay up further on the mast would cause issues because it would not connect at the same point as the shrouds. Therefore it would pull the top of the mast foreward under load. Right now the shrouds and forestay all hook together so there is no bending load on the mast. The standard roller furling H18 jib works well, just find a good used one.

There are gennakers/spinakers available and they can add a lot of performance to the boat. I don't have one but I think it would be fun.

The bow deflectors for the 14/16 are to solve the issue of low bouancy in the bows of those boats. The H18 took care of that with the design and is not prone to burrying the bow like the 16 is. I don't think you need them.

The wings are awesome. I have the SX wings but the Magnum wings are great also. This makes sailing the boat much easier, drier and comfortable. I guess they add weight and you can sail faster with no wings and both crew on the trap but it is almost awash with performance and way easier with the wings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Regarding alternative jibs, poster "RobPatt" has used the larger SX jib on a standard H18. You should try reaching out to him directly. I believe he said he simply removes the (short) upper forestay section and shackles the longer SX forestay directly to the standard H18 mast tang via the swivel. He said it works fine.

Agree with Chet, no need for bow planes on a H18. The boat sails fine, even with water washing over the leeward deck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cost between your desire to add a Hobie 20 jib and the money savings you seek versus just going with a stock Hobie 18 jib is not worth it. It's better to put your time and money into finding wings than making a Frankenhobie out of your sails and standing rigging.

I second the benefits of distance sailing with wings. There is no downside.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep you nose craigslist and other adds online. Took a year and a half to find my set of magnum wing. But there like new and only cost $300, and where local. Definetly worth the wait.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dude, you got a deal. I got mine 8 years ago and they cost that much. I think I wouldn't be sailing catamarans if it wasn't for the wings.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys, I finally got some good wind and its a monster just like it is. But I definitely want some wing seats for sure.