Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapeze
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the wire length for the h18 and h18sx trapeze different. On my new boat with wings the harness attachment on the dogbone seems too long and I can't get out on the trapeze as I feel I will actually fall off the wing, down and lose control. What is my solution. Can I simple shorten the wire or should I measure and have new rigging made up.

Post subject: Re: Trapeze
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe the lengths are different. Murrays sells two different kits, one for the std 18 and one for the SX. I don't know if the difference is because the hook to mast at a different place because it's taller or if they're shorter or both. I added wings to my boat and I have adjustable hooks but even when they're adjusted to the top it seams to be low. I would love to know how much shorter they should be but I don't think I would want to shorten mine for time I take the wings off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you running a true SX rig with the taller mast, or just a standard rig with SX wings?

The Hobie wire guide shows the 18SE trap wire length as 19'-0". The 18SX is listed as 19'-5" plus a 12" long pigtail (the SX mast is 1'-6" longer than the SE).

You could easily shorten your trap wires if you have access to a nicopress tool.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure about klecko but I am running a std Hobie 18 with magnum wings added so I have the shorter mast. I never thought of adding pigtails. Then I could shorten it and add the length if I didn't have the wings on. Would you recommend shortening the 6" or 12" with the appropriate pigtail?