Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo Righting
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought my 18SE, and with it came the Hobiecat optional "upright solo righting system", but it came in the trailer box, with no instructions for installation or use.

Can anybody help me with this?

Where does it go?

How do you use it?

Thanks

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just started sailing my 18 this year, and have a righting system on my boat. Not sure if mine is the same as yours but I will try to help. Mine consists of a length of 1/2" line running from the rudder pins, under the tramp along the inside of the hulls to a ring just in front of the forward beam. The line goes through the rings and back under the tramp to a pulley near the pack of the boat. The pulley is attached to a fairly long bungy line which keeps the 1/2" line tight against the hull and out of the way. After a capsize, you stand on the lower hull, pull on the righting line which stretches the bungy cord, this will allow you to pull the line taught and lean back lifting the mast out of the water. I put the line behind my back, and lean hard. It works great, I hope yours is the same and I have been of some assistance. Good luck
Dave

P.S. The rings at the front of the beam are tyed to rope which is run through a hole in the lip of the hull. Let me know if more clarification is needed, I hope I made myself understood. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Dave!!!

That explains the rigging for the righting line, wich I also needed.

But my question was about a "Upright SOLO Righting system", that consists of two short steel cables (about a foot long), and I believe what it does is act as a suplement in the shrouds, when you capsize, just pull a pin and the shroud on that side becomes a foot longer, wich helps to have that hull more close to you... I did not figured out the exact way to install it, but I can't think of other ways to use them.

They also come with a third steel cable, this one about three ft. long, wich I figured must be to secure the mast to the boat when you make the shroud longer...

You can check page 12 in the hobie catalog, it's there.

Thank you again.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OHHHH! that.....

I have heard of them but have never seen one. Very sharp idea though, would like to own a set for myself. you are correct they do extend the shrouds to gain mechanical advantage when righting the boat. the third line I was not aware of, I hope somone out there can expand on this for you.

Good luck
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This was discussed earlier. Do a search for "upright" and you'll find it.